Combined Finite Element and Multibody Techniques for Vehicle Occupant Safety Studies
The use of computer simulation techniques in automotive crash safety design has rapidly increased in the past years. For the human body as well as the restraint systems, e.g. seat belts and airbags, computer models are becoming more and more realistic. In existing Crash Victim Simulation programs the occupant is represented by a system of rigid bodies and the restraint systems with special force models.
The integrated multibody/finite element program for crash analyses MADYMO is described with special emphasis on the finite element airbag module. A validation study using a pendulum test with a driver side airbag is described. The agreement between the measured and calculated results is good. The kinematics of both driver and passenger side airbag systems in a car environment are shown.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.R. McHenry, Analysis of the dynamics of automobile passenger-restraint systems, 7th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1963.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Prasad and C.C. Chou, A Review of Mathematical Occupant Simulation Models, pp 95–112 Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems AMD-Vol. 106, The winter annual meeting of the American society of mechanical engineers, San Francisco, December 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.H.A. Lupker and W.P. Koppens, MADYMO vehicle dynamics application, pp 101–113 Proceedings of the 3rd International MADYMO Users’ Meeting, Detroit, February 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.H.A. Lupker, H.B. Helleman, E. Fraterman and J. Wismans, The MADYMO Finite Element Airbag Model, 13th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, paper no. 91-S9-O-23, Paris, November 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.P.J.A. De Coo et al., Integrierte Kollisionssimulation mit FE- und Insassenmodellen, VDI Congres Berechnung im Automobielbau, Würzburg, 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.W.E.M. Bruijs, Subcycling in Transient Finite Element Analysis; PhD Thesis Eindhoven University of Technology, ISBN 90-9003684-9.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Hirth, H.J. Petit und W. Bacher, Validierung eines FE-Airbagmodells für Schlittenversuchs-Simulationen, pp 557–578, VDI Congres Berechnung im Automobielbau, Würzburg, September 1992.Google Scholar