Treatment of hypertension in the elderly
By virtue of sheer numbers, hypertension in the elderly is a major public health problem: prevalence of hypertension is high in this age group, and the elderly segment of the American population is growing rapidly. The confirmed benefit of treatment of hypertension in the elderly, both isolated systolic and diastolic, makes it even more important now than ever to identify and treat such patients.
KeywordsDiastolic Blood Pressure Systolic Hypertension Sick Sinus Syndrome Diastolic Hypertension Hypertension Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vokonas PS, Kannel WB, Cupples LA. Epidemiology and risk of hypertension in the elderly: the Framingham Study. J Hypertens 1988; 6(Suppl 1):S3–S9.Google Scholar
- 2.Subcommittee on Definition and Prevalence of the 1984 Joint National Committee. Hypertension prevalence and the status of awareness, treatment, and control in the United States. Final report. Hypertension 1985; 7:457–468.Google Scholar
- 9.Borhani NO. Results of clinical trials regarding the efficacy of treating hypertension. Clin Geriatric Med 1989; 5:675–690.Google Scholar
- 10.National Heart Foundation of Australia. Treatment of mild hypertension in the elderly. Med J Aust 1981; 2:398–402.Google Scholar
- 20.Staesson J, Bulpitt C, Clement D, DeLeeuw P, Fagard R, Fletcher A, Forette F, Leonetti G, Nissinen A, O’Malley K, Tuomilehto J, Webseter J, Williams BO. Relation between mortality and treated blood pressure in elderly patients with hypertension: report of the European Working party on High Blood Pressure in the Elderly. Br Med J 1989; 298:1552–1556.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Curb JD, Borhani NO, Blaszowski T, Fotiu S, Zimbaldi N, on behalf of the HDFP Cooperative Group. Adverse reactions to antihypertensive drugs in the Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program (HDFP). Circulation 1982; 66:II-328.Google Scholar
- 25.Materson BJ, Cushman WC, Goldstein G, Reda DJ, Freis ED, Ramirez EA, Talmers FN, White TJ, Nunn S, Chapman RH, Khatri I, Schnaper H, Thomas JR, Henderson WG, Fye C. Treatment of hypertension in the elderly: I. Blood pressure and clinical changes. Results of a Department of Veterans Affairs cooperative study. Hypertension 1990; 15:348–360.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Goldstein G, Materson BJ, Cushman WC, Reda DJ, Freis ED, Ramirez EA, Talmers FN, White TJ, Nunn S, Chapman RH, Khatri I, Schnaper H, Thomas JR, Henderson WG, Fye C. Treatment of hypertension in the elderly: II. Cognitive and behavioral function. Results of a Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study. Hypertension 1990; 15:361–369.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Cushman WC, Khatri I, Materson BJ, Reda DJ, Freis ED, Goldstein G, Ramirez EA, Talmers FN, White TJ, Nunn S, Schnaper H, Thomas JR, Henderson WG, Fye C. Treatment of hypertension in the elderly. III. Response of isolated systolic hypertension to various doses of hydrochlorothiazide: Results of a Department of Veterans Affairs cooperative study. Arch Intern Med 1991; 151:1954–1960.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar