The future of the groundnut crop
In assessing the future prospects of any crop, it is sensible to consider what factors contribute to the crop’s present position and how these are likely to change, if at all, in the immediate and near future. The considerations tend predominantly to be economic in that the output from producing the crop must be commensurate with the input, though the input may not always be easy to quantify in purely monetary terms. Economic viability needs to be assessed by a broad and open-minded economist, not by an accountant who will tend to ignore what cannot be expressed in cash terms.
KeywordsGenetic Resource Leaf Spot Peanut Butter Arachis Hypogaea Aflatoxin Contamination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archer, T.C. (1853) Popular Economie Botany, Reeve, London,Google Scholar
- Gregory, W.C., Smith, B.W. and Yarbrough, J.A. (1951) Morphology, genetics and breeding, in The Peanut — the Unpredictable Legume, National Fertilizer Association, Washington DC, pp. 28–88.Google Scholar
- Hemingway, J.S. (1957) The resistance of groundnuts to Cercospora leaf-spots. Empire Journal of Experimental Agriculture, 25, 60–68.Google Scholar
- Hildebrand, G.L. and Smartt, J. (1980) The utilization of Bolivian groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) germplasm in Central Africa. Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research, 18, 39–48.Google Scholar
- Johnson, F.R. (1964) The Peanut Story, Johnson Publishing Co., Murfreesboro, North Carolina.Google Scholar
- Krapovicakas, A. (1969) The origin, variability and spread of the groundnut (Arachis hypogaea), in The Domestication and Evolution of Plants and Animals, (eds P.J. Ucko and G.W. Dimbleby), Duckworth, London, pp. 427–441.Google Scholar
- Nigam, S.N. (ed.) (1992) Groundnut — a global perspective. Proceedings of an International Workshop 25–29 November 1991 ICRISAT Centre. ICRISAT, Pantancheru, Andra Pradesh, India, pp. 375–378.Google Scholar
- Rick (in press) in Smartt, J. and Simmonds, N.W. (eds) Evolution of Crop Plants (2nd edn) Longman, London.Google Scholar
- Stalker, H.T. (1992) Utilizing Arachis germplasm resources in Groundnut — a Global Perspective, (ed. S.N. Nigam), ICRISAT, Patancheru, A.P., India, 281–295.Google Scholar
- York, E.T. and Colwell, W.E. (1951) Soil properties, fertilization and maintenance of soil fertility, in The Peanut — the Unpredictable Legume. National Fertilizer Association, Washington DC, pp. 122–172.Google Scholar