Contact: Support for Distributed Cooperative Writing
This paper presents a novel system to support the activities of distributed cooperative writing. The system builds upon the results from previous studies of cooperative work, and on a set of short focused studies of cooperative authoring to outline a framework and system to meet the requirements of cooperating authors. The system provides facilities to represent the decomposition of the writing task and assignment of responsibilities. In addition, a series of monitoring facilities is provided which allows authors to coordinate their activities in the construction of documents.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beck, E.E. (1993) A survey of Experiences of Collaborative Writing. In Computer supported Collaborative Writing, ed. M Sharpies, London: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Beck, E.E. and M.E. Bellotti. (1993) Informed Opportunism as Strategy: Supporting Coordination in Distributed Collaborative Writing. In ECSCW 93, Milan Italy, pp 233–247.Google Scholar
- Kaye, A.R. (1993) Computer Networking for Development of Distance Education courses. In Computer Supported Collaborative Writing., ed. M. Sharpies, London: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Killey, L. (1990) ShrEdit 1.0: A shared editor for macintosh. Cognitive science and Machine Intelligence Laboratory, University of Michigan, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kriefelts, T., E. Hinrichs and G. Woetzel. (1993) Sharing To-Do lists with a Distributed Task Manager. In ECSCW 93, Milan Italy, pp 31–46.Google Scholar
- Kreifelts, T., U. Pankoke-Babatz, and F. Victor. (1991) A Model for the Coordination of Cooperative Activities. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on CSCW, Berlin, pp 85–100.Google Scholar
- Miles, V.C., J.C. McCarthy, A.J Dix, M.D. Harrison, and A.F. Monk. (1993) Reviewing Designs for a Synchronous-Asynchronous Group Editing Environment. In Computer supported Collaborative Writing, ed. M Sharpies, London: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Posner, I.R. and R.M. Baecker. (1993) How people Write Together. In Readings in Groupware and Computer Supported Cooperative Work., ed. R.M. Baecker, pp 239–250. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Rimmershaw, R. (1992) Technologies of Collaboration. In Computers and writing: Issues and Implementations, ed. M. Sharpies, Dordrecht: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Sasse, M.A. and M.J. Handley. (1993) Support for Collabortive Authoring via Email: The MESSIE Environment. In ECSCW 95, Milan Italy, pp 249–264.Google Scholar
- Sharpies, M. (1992) Adding a little structure to collaborative writing. In CSCW in practice: An introduction and Case Studies, ed. D Diaper and C Sanger, London: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Sharpies, M. ed. (1993) Computer supported Collaborative Writing. London: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.D. (1967) Organisations in Action. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar