An Improved Boundary Element Analysis for the Bending of a Thin Plate with a Crack
In this paper, a modified fundamental solution (MFS) for a thin plate with a cutout is presented in terms of MUSKHELISHVILI'S complex variable method. As the MFS satisfy traction free conditions on the cutout surface, integrals along the cutout boundary can be avoided when they are used as the kernels of boundary integral equations; only outer boundary discretization is necessary in a numerical solution procedure. Numerical examples for the bending of a plate with a crack show that higher numerical accuracy of the results could be attained with relatively fewer discrete elements by using the MFS in boundary element analysis.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Boundary Element Fundamental Solution Thin Plate Boundary Element Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1958 Savin, G.N., Stress Concentration Near Holes, Chinese translation, China Academic Publishers, Beijing.Google Scholar
- 1959 Muskhelishvili, N.I., Some Basic Problems of the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Chinese translation, China Academic Publishers, Beijing.Google Scholar
- 1962 Sih, G.C., Paris, P.C. Erdogan, F., Crack-tip stress-intensity factors for plane extension and plate bending probelms, J. Appl. Mech. 29, pp. 306–312.Google Scholar
- 1979 Stern, M., A general boundary integral formulation for the numerical solution of plate bending problems, Int. J. Solid Structures, 15, pp. 765–782.Google Scholar
- 1979 Tottenham, H., The boundary element method for plates and shells, in: Developments in Boundary Element Mehtods-1, P.K. Banerjee, R. Butterfield (Eds.), Applied Science Publishers Ltd., New York.Google Scholar
- 1981 Brebbia, C.A. (Ed.), Progress in Boundary Element Methods, Vol. 1, Pentech Press Ltd., London.Google Scholar
- 1981 China Academy of Aeronautical Science (CAAR) (Ed), Handbook of Stress Intensity Factors, China Academic Publishers, Beijing (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 1982 Mukherjee, S., Boundary Element Methods in Creep and Fracture, Applied Science Publishers Ltd., New York.Google Scholar
- 1982 Stern, M., Plate bending problems, in: Boundary Element Techniques in Computer-Aided Engineering, C.A. BREBBIA (Ed.), Martinus Nijhoff Publisher.Google Scholar
- 1982 Kitahara, M., Boundary Integral Methods in Eigenvalue Problems of Elastodynamics and Thin Plates, Elsevier Science Publisher, London.Google Scholar
- 1982 Lu, P., A boundary element solution for the crack problems, J. of China University of Science and Technology, Vol. 20, 4, 506.Google Scholar