Symmetry Reductions and Exact Solutions of Shallow Water Wave Equations
In this paper, a catalogue of symmetry reductions is obtained using the classical Lie method and the nonclassical method due to Bluman and Cole (J. Math. Mech., 18 (1969), 1025). The classical Lie method yields symmetry reductions of (1) expressible in terms of the first, third and fifth Painlevé transcendents and Weierstrass elliptic functions. The nonclassical method yields a plethora of exact solutions of (1) with α = ß which possess a rich variety of qualitative behaviours. These solutions all like a two-soliton solution for t < 0 but differ radically for t > 0 and may be viewed as a nonlinear superposition of two solitons, one travelling to the left with arbitrary speed and the other to the right with equal and opposite speed. These families of solutions have important implications with regard to the numerical analysis of SWW and suggests that solving (1) numerically could pose some fundamental difficulties. In particular, one would not be able to distinguish the solutions in an initial-value problem since an exponentially small change in the initial conditions can result in completely different qualitative behaviours.
We compare the two-soliton solutions obtained using the nonclassical method to those obtained using the singular manifold method and Hirota’s bi-linear method.
Further, we show that there is an analogous nonlinear superposition of solutions for two (2+1) dimensional generalisations of the SWW Equation (1) with α = ß. This yields solutions expressible as the sum of two solutions of the Korteweg—de Vries equation.
Key wordssymmetry reductions exact solutions shallow water wave equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Bluman, G. W. and Kumei, S.: Symmetriesand Differential Equationsin Appl. Math. Sci., Vol. 81, Springer-Verlag, Berlin,1989.Google Scholar
- 16.Clarkson, P. A.: Nonclassicalsymmetry reductions for the Boussinesq equation, in Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, 1994, to appear.Google Scholar
- 20.Clarkson, P.A. and Mansfield, E. L.: Algorithms for the nonclassical method of symmetry reductions, SIAM J. Appl. Math1994, toappear.Google Scholar
- 21.Clarkson, P. A. and Mansfield, E.L.: Exact solutions for some (2 + 1)-dimensional shallow water wave equations,Preprint, Department of Mathematics, University of Exeter, 1994.Google Scholar
- 32.Hirota, R.: in R. K. Bullough andP. J. Caudrey (eds), Solitons, Topics in Current Physics, Vol. 17, Springer-Verlag, Berlin,1980, pp. 157–176.Google Scholar
- 36.Ince, E. L.: Ordinary Differential EquationsDover,New York, 1956.Google Scholar
- 40.Mansfield, E.L.: Diffgrob2: A symbolic algebrapackage for analysing systems of PDE using Maple,ftp euclid.exeter.ac.uk,login: anonymous, password: your email address, directory: pub/liz, 1993.Google Scholar
- 41.Mansfield, E.L. and Fackerell, E. D.: Differential Gröbner Bases, Preprint 92/108, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 1992.Google Scholar
- 50.Reid, G. J. and Wittkopf, A.:A Differential Algebra Package for Maple, ftp 188.8.131.52 login: anonymous,password: your email address, directory: pub/standardform, 1993.Google Scholar