Hydromagnetic Waves and Instabilities in the Magnetosphere
The theory of hydromagnetic waves and their instabilities based on kinetic theory ia presented. In Section 2 the behavior of hydromagnetic waves in a uniform plasmr with uniform magnetic field is reviewed by deriving their dispersion relations fos relevant magnetospheric parameters. In Section 3, instabilities associated with velocity space anisotropy are introduced, and in Section 4 an occurrence of such an instability during a storm time of April 18, 1965, is demonstrated.
KeywordsProton Flux Cold Electron Storm Time Current Parallel Azimuthal Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hasegawa, A. and Birdsall, C. K.: 1964, Electr. Res. Lab. Tech. Rep. No. 64-5, Univ. of Calif., Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Kadomtsev, B. B.: 1966, Review of Plasma Physics, Vol. 2 (ed. by M. A. Leontovich), Consultants Bureau, New York, p. 190.Google Scholar
- Kutsenko, A. B. and Stepanov, K. N.: 1960, Sov. Phys.-JETP 11, 1323.Google Scholar
- Rosenbluth, M. N.: 1956, Los Alamos Sci. Lab. LA-2030.Google Scholar
- Sagdeev, R. Z.: 1958, Review of Plasma Physics, Vol. 4 (ed. by M. A. Leontovich), Consultants Bureau, New York, p. 32.Google Scholar
- Vedenov, A. A. and Sagdeev, R. Z.: 1958, Acad. Nauk. SSR 3, 278.Google Scholar