Changes in the Distribution Function of Magnetospheric Particles Associated with Gyroresonant Interactions
Wave-particle interactions (WPF’s) were initially invoked for explaining the origin of natural ELF or VLF electromagnetic emissions. Since the work of Cornwall (1966) and Kennel and Petschek (1966), however, it was recognized that this phenomenon was able to modify the distribution function of the particles themselves. Consequently, and because of the existence of a loss cone, WPI’s are responsible for the most part of particle precipitation. But, if one restricts to gyroresonant WPI’s, the relative importance of this mechanism with respect to other mechanisms is not yet clearly established. Therefore, it is necessary to improve our theoretical knowledge in this field and to check quantitatively the validity of our conclusions.
KeywordsPitch Angle Loss Cone Whistler Mode Pitch Angle Diffusion Alfven Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Drummond, W. E.: 1965, in B. B. Kadomtsev, M. N. Rosenbluth, and W. B. Thompson (eds.), Plasma Physics, IAEA, Vienna, p. 527.Google Scholar
- Eather, R. H. and Carovillano, R. L.: 1971, Cosmic Electrodyn. 2, 105.Google Scholar
- Etcheto, J., Gendrin, R., and Lemaire, D.: 1971b, Proceedings of the ESRO Colloquium on Wave Particle Interactions, ESRO/S. P.72, p. 123.Google Scholar
- Etcheto, J., Roux, A., Singh, R. P., and Solomon, J.: 1971c, Paper presented at the XVth IUGG general Assembly, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Haerendel, G.: 1971, Proceedings of the ESRO Colloquium on wave and particle interactions, ESRO/S. P. 72, p. 63.Google Scholar
- Hagege, K., Laval, G., Parks, G., and Pellat, R.: 1971, Paper presented at the XVth IUGG general Assembly, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Laval, G., Pellat, R., and Roux, A.: 1971, Paper presented at the XVth IUGG general Assembly, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Mozer, F. S., Bogott, F. H., and Brice, N.: 1971, ‘Triggered Acceleration of 50 Kilovolt Protons and Electrons’, Preprint, University of California, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Roux, A. and Solomon, J.: 1970, Ann. Geophys. 26, 279.Google Scholar
- Russell, C. T. and Thorne, R. M.: 1970, Cosmic Electrodyn. 1, 67.Google Scholar
- Theodoridis, G. C. and Paolini, F. R.: 1967, Ann. Geophys. 23, 375.Google Scholar