Auroral Particle Precipitation Patterns
Data from a low energy auroral electron and proton experiment are presented which were obtained from October 1968 to June 1970 from the polar-orbit satellite ESRO I A (Aurorae). The results include (a) discontinuities in the precipitation patterns around 5 and 19 hr MLT, (b) ‘valleys’ in the average flux distributions in the noon/dusk sector, (c) latitudinal cross over of 5.8 keV electron and proton precipitation, and (d) Kp-dependent 5.8 keV proton population at low latitudes, which is presumably connected with the generation of SAR arcs.
KeywordsPitch Angle Auroral Oval Channel Electron Multiplier Auroral Latitude Swedish Natural Science Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eather, R. H. and Carovillano, R. L.: 1971, Cosmic Electrodyn. 2, 105.Google Scholar
- Eather, R. H. and Mende, S. B.: 1971, Paper presented at the Advanced Study Institute on Magnetosphere Interactions, Dalseter, Norway.Google Scholar
- Lassen, K.: 1970, Phys. Norv. 4, 171.Google Scholar
- McIlwain, C. E.: 1972, this volume, p. 268.Google Scholar
- Riedler, W. and Hultqvist, B.: 1970, Space Res.10, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Holland, p. 84Google Scholar
- Riedler, W. and Borg, H.: 1971, Space Res. 12, Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, in press.Google Scholar
- Riedler, W., Hultqvist, B., and Olsen, S.: 1971, Arkiv Geofysik 5, 619.Google Scholar
- Sharp, R. D. and Johnson, R. G.: 1971, in B. M. McCormac (ed.), The Radiating Atmosphere, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, p. 239.Google Scholar
- Winningham, J. D.: 1972, this volume, p. 68.Google Scholar