New Observations of the Proton Population of the Radiation Belt Between 1.5 and 104 Mev
The identification of the source and loss mechanisms is still the outstanding problem of radiation belt research. Part of the problem encountered in testing theoretical concepts has been the incompleteness of the available data. Several surveys of the trapped proton population have been performed previously (Davis and Williamson, 1963; Freden et al., 1965; Fillius, 1966; Gabbe and Brown, 1966; Mihalov and White, 1966; Vernov et al., 1967; De Forest, 1970; Burns and Krimigis, 1971). Only a few experiments, however, have covered a wide enough energy range to allow the study of systematic spectral variations over a wide spatial region. In the inner belt, measurements of protons with energies below about 10 MeV have been generally scarce due to instrumental problems caused by penetrating protons or by electrons.
KeywordsRadial Diffusion Radiation Belt Energy Channel Pitch Angle Distribution Trap Proton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Achtermann, E., Häusler, B., Hovestadt, D., Paschmann, G., Künneth, E., and Laeverenz, P.: 1970, Forschungsbericht W70-67, Bundesministerium für Bildung und Wissenschaft.Google Scholar
- Burns, A. L. and Krimigis, S. M.: 1971, University of Iowa Report 71:8.Google Scholar
- Davis, L. R. and Williamson, J. M.: 1963, in W. Priester (ed.), Space Research 3, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Holland, p. 365.Google Scholar
- De Forest, S. E.: 1970, University of California, San Diego, Report SP-70-20.Google Scholar
- Gabbe, J. D. and Brown, W. C.: 1966, in B. M. McCormac (ed.), Radiation Trapped in the Earth’s Magnetic Field, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, p. 165.Google Scholar
- McIlwain, C. E.: 1971, private communication.Google Scholar
- Vernov, S. N., Vakulov, P. V., Kuznetsov, S. N., Logatchev, Yu. I., Nikolaiev, A. G., Sosnovets, E. N., and Stolpovsky, V. G.: 1967, R. L. Smith-Rose (ed.), Space Research7, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Holland, p. 57Google Scholar
- Walt, M. and Farley, T. A.: 1972, this volume, p. 293.Google Scholar