Numerical Experiments in Collisionless Systems
Gravitational n-body calculations handling 105 particles have become routine in the last three or four years. The plasma physicists have also run calculations with comparable numbers of particles — you will hear of these from Dawson this afternoon. In the stellar dynamics area, two groups have been making these calculations — our own group with Kevin Prendergast and William Quirk, and the competition, the group that formed when Roger Hockney and Frank Hohl merged (and later parted ways). Our calculation is described in Miller and Prendergast (1968); theirs is best described by Hohl and Hockney (1969), and some very thorough discussions of computational speed of force calculations by Hockney (1970).
KeywordsPeriodic Orbit Velocity Dispersion Stellar System Spiral Pattern Phase Space Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1960, Principles of Stellar Dynamics, Dover Publications, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Code, A. D.: 1967, Astron. J. 72, 789–90 (A).Google Scholar
- Contopoulos, G.: 1966, ‘Problems of Stellar Dynamics‘, pp. 169–257 in Relativity Theory and Astrophysics(J. Ehlers, ed.) Vol.1 American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I.Google Scholar
- Hockney, R. W.: 1970, Methods in Computational Physics, Vol. 9, pp. 136–212, (B. Adler, S. Fernbach, and M. Rotenberg, eds. ), Academic Press New York.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. H. and Alton, N.: 1968, `Three Dimensional N-Body Calculation’, ICR Quarterly Report, No. 18 (August 1, 1968), Institute for Computer Research, University of Chicago (Unpublished).Google Scholar
- Miller, R. H., Prendergast, K. H., and Quirk, W. J.: 1970, Astrophys. J. (to be published).Google Scholar
- Quirk, William J.: 1970, Ph.D. Thesis, Columbia University, ( Unpublished).Google Scholar
- Schmidt, M.: 1965, Galactic Structure, pp. 513–30. (A. Blaauw and M. Schmidt, eds.) University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Vol. V, of Stars and Stellar Systems, ( B. M. Middlehurst and G. Kuiper, eds.).Google Scholar