Magnetospheric Dynamics and Wave-Particle Interactions
It has been demonstrated that two general classes of wave-particle interactions are of great importance for magnetospheric dynamics. Electromagnetic and electrostatic plasma instabilities give rise to relatively narrow-banded spontaneous emissions (e.g. ELF hiss, chorus, three-halves noise, ion cyclotron and ion-plasma-frequency turbulence) that can scatter trapped particles into the loss cone, leading to modified pitch-angle distributions, stable trapping limits, diffuse aurora, proton precipitation events, etc. The current-driven plasma instabilities give rise to impulsive ion acoustic or Buneman mode turbulence that provides very effective energy transfer (via the anomalous conductivity mechanism) at the bow shock and in regions where strong field-aligned currents are observed. We review these interactions and identify significant open questions that must be investigated during the IMS.
KeywordsPlasma Sheet Plasma Instability Electrostatic Wave Parallel Electric Field Anomalous Resistivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdalla, M. &C.F. Kennel, This volume, 1975Google Scholar
- Berstein, W., H. Leinbach, H. Cohen, P.S. Wilson, T.N. Davis, T. Hallinan, B. Baker, J. Martz genissa R. Ziemke, J Geophys. Res. 80 (1975).Google Scholar
- Fredricks, R.W., Wave-Particle Interactions in the Outer Magnetosphere, Magnetospheres of Earth and Jupiter (Ed. V. Formisano ), D. Reidel, Dordrecht-Holland, 1975.Google Scholar
- Greenstadt, E.W. & R.W. Fredricks, Magnetospheric Physics (Ed. B.M. McCormac),D.Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, 1974Google Scholar
- Kadomtsev, B.B., Plasma Turbulence, Acad. Press, London, NY, 1965.Google Scholar
- Mcllwain, C.E., Physics of the Hot Plasma in the Magnetosphere (Ed. B. Hulqvist),Plenum Press, London, 1975.Google Scholar
- Sagdeev, R.Z., Proc. Symp. Applied Math., 18, 281 (1967)Google Scholar
- Scarf, F.L., R.W. Fredricks, C.T. Russell, M. Neugebauer, M. Kivelson C.R. Chappell, J. Geophys. Res. 80 (1975)Google Scholar
- Taylor, W.L., B. Parady genissa L.J. Cahill, Jr., Univ. of Minnesota, Technical Report, June 1974.Google Scholar