Analytical Approach to Calculate Quasi-Thermal Noise Spectrum in Irregular Plasma
Basic properties of quasi-thermal noise spectrum in irregular plasma have been investigated using an analytical point of view. A simple formula for the plasma frequency splitting effect has been obtained for ionospheric conditions. A passive electric antenna, immersed in a stable plasma, detects the fluctuations of the electric potential due to thermal motion of the ambient particles. Properties of this quasi-thermal noise spectrum in homogeneous plasma are relatively well known and are effectively used for diagnostics of space plasma (Aksenov et al., 1978; Trakhtengerts and Chugunov, 1978; Kellog, 1981; Meyer-Vernet and Perche, 1989). Especially, in the Earth’s ionosphere or solar wind plasma, random irregularities of electron density are always present. These irregularities may substantially change properties of these media through electromagnetic radiation and may also modify quasi-thermal noise spectrum, which depends on the effective dielectric permittivity tensor. This tensor is defined as the dielectric permittivity tensor of some imaginary ‘effective’ regular medium in which the field of point source is the same as the mean field in the medium with random irregularities (Ryzhov, Tamoikin and Tatarskii, 1965; Ryzhov 1968). Since the correlation function of electric field fluctuations in random medium may be expressed through the effective dielectric constant tensor (Ryzhov, 1968), it may be used for direct calculation of quasi-thermal noise spectrum. In (2000), the Born approximation was used to calculate numerically the effective dielectric permittivity tensor and the modified noise spectrum while we analytically estimate herein the modified noise spectrum.
KeywordsSolar Wind Dielectric Permittivity Plasma Frequency Noise Spectrum Random Medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kuhl, H.H.: 1966, Resistance of a short antenna in a warm plasma, Radio Sci. 1, 971.Google Scholar
- Rytov, S.M., Kravtsov, Yu.A. and Tatarskii, V.I.: 1978, Introduction to Statistical Radiophysics, 2, Random Fields. Nauka, Moscow, (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ryzhov, Yu.A., Tamoikin, V.V. and Tatarskii, V.I.: 1965, On space dispersion of inhomogeneous media, JETP 48(2), 656 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ryzhov, Yu.A.: 1968, Analytic properties of the effective dielectric permeability of randomly inhomogeneous media, JETP 55(2:3), 567 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Zabotin, N.A., Chugunov, Yu.V., Mareev, E.A. and Bronin, A.G.: 2000, Influence of random irregularities on quasi-thermal noise spectrum of plasma, LANL Archive, http://arXiv.org/abs/physics/0004021Google Scholar