Large-Scale Environmental Effects of the Cluster Distribution
Using the APM cluster distribution we find interesting alignment effects: (1) Cluster substructure is strongly correlated with the tendency of clusters to be aligned with their nearest neighbour and in general with the nearby clusters that belong to the same supercluster, (2) Clusters belonging in superclusters show a statistical significant tendency to be aligned with the major axis orientation of their parent supercluster. Furthermore we find that dynamically young clusters are more clustered than the overall cluster population. These are strong indications that cluster develop in a hierarchical fashion by merging along the large-scale filamentary superclusters within which they are embedded.
Keywordsgalaxies clusters-cosmology general-large-scale structure of universe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bingelli B., 1982, AA, 250, 432Google Scholar
- Böhringer H., 1995, in Proceedings of the 17th Texas Symposium on Relativistic Astrophysics and Cosmology, eds. Böhringer H., Trümper J., Morfill G. E., The New York Academy of SciencesGoogle Scholar
- Plionis M., 2001, in the proceedings of the Clusters and the High-Redshift Universe observedin X-rays, XXIth Moriond Astrophysics Meeting, eds. Neumann et al., in press Google Scholar
- Sarazin, C.L., 1988, in X-ray Emission from Clusters of Galaxies, Cambridge Astrophysics Series, Cambridge Univ, Press.Google Scholar
- Sarazin, C.L., 2001, in Merging Processes in clusters of Galaxies, eds. Peretti, L., Gioia, M., Giovannini, G., (Dordrecht: Kluwer).Google Scholar
- Schindler S., 1999, in Giovanelli E, Sabau-Graziati L. (eds.), proceedings of the Vulcano Workshop 1999, Multifrequency Behaviour of High Energy Cosmic Sources, astrophl9909042.Google Scholar
- Schindler S., 2000, in Giovanelli E, G. Mannocchi (eds.), proceedings of the Vulcano Workshop 2000, Frontier Objects in Astrophysics and Particle Physics, astro-phloo10319.Google Scholar
- (Schüecker, P., Boehringer, H., Reiprich, T.H., Peretti, L., A&A, in press, (astroph/0l09030)Google Scholar