Current Trends in Mathematical Cosmology
We present an elementary account of mathematical cosmology through a series of important unsolved problems. We introduce the fundamental notion of a cosmology and focus on the issue of singularities as a theme unifying many current, seemingly unrelated trends of this subject. We discuss problems associated with the definition and asymptotic structure of the notion of cosmological solution and also problems related to the qualification of approximations and to the ranges of validity of given cosmologies.
Keywordsmathematical cosmology theories of gravity(relativistic) spacetime structure matter fields
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hawking, S.W., and G.ER. Ellis, The large-scale structure of space-time, (CUP, 1973).Google Scholar
- Wheeler, J.A. Superspace and the nature of quantum geometrodynamics, in C.M. DeWitt and I.A. Wheeler (eds.), (Benjamin, 1968); see also, C.W. Misner, Minisuperspace, in J. Klauder (ed.), Magic without magic, (Freeman, 1972).Google Scholar
- Ellis, G.F.R., and H. van Elst, Cosmological Models, Cargèse lectures 1998, gr-qc/9812046.Google Scholar
- Cotsakis, S., Introduction to Mathematical Cosmology, (in preparation, 2001).Google Scholar
- Barrow, J.D., and F.J. Tipler, The Anthopic Cosmological Principle, (OUP, 1986).Google Scholar
- Misner, C.W., in D. Hobill et al. (Eds.), Deterministic chaos in general relativity, (Plenum, 1994) pp. 317–328.Google Scholar
- Wainwright, I., and G.F.R. Ellis, Dynamical systems in cosmology, (CUP, 1997).Google Scholar
- Hale, J., and H. Koçak, Dynamics and bifurcations, (Springer-Verlag, 1991).Google Scholar
- Bogoyavlenski, O.I., and S.P. Novikov, JETP. 64, 1475 (1973).Google Scholar
- Bogoyavlenski, O.I. Dynamical systems in Astrophysics, (Springer-Verlag, 1986).Google Scholar
- Barrow, J.D., and S. Cotsakis, Phys. Lett. B258, 299 (1991).Google Scholar
- Barrow, J.D., and M.P. Dabrowski, String cosmology and chaos, gr-qc/9806023.Google Scholar