Mechanically Assisted Nitridation in the Zr-Fe System
Crystalline and amorphous Zr-Fe alloys have been milled under N2 in an oscillatory mill. The structural changes produced by the mechanically assisted gas-solid reaction were investigated by means of Mössbauer spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction. Regardless of the initial composition and structure, the final product after prolonged milling was a mixture of ZrN and almost pure Fe, evidencing the tendency of Fe to segregate and that of Zr to combine with N. Several intermediate states were observed including Zr1−xFex N.
KeywordsMossbauer Spectroscopy Amorphous Alloy Mechanical Milling Mossbauer Spectroscopy Transition Metal Nitrides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. R. Zhou, K. Lu and Xu, Mat. Sci. Forum, 343–346 (2000) 643.Google Scholar
- L. Mendoza-Zélis, M.A. Bab, L.C. Damonte and F. H. Sánchez, Mat. Sci. Forum, 312–314 (1998) 179.Google Scholar
- M.A. Bab, L. Mendoza-Zélis and L.C. Damonte, Acta Materialia, in pressGoogle Scholar
- F. Aubertin, U. Gonser, S. Campbell and H. Wagner, Z. Metallkde, 76 (1985) 237.Google Scholar
- C. Michaelsen and E. Helistern, J. Appl. Phys. 62 (1985) 1.Google Scholar