Reanalysis is the assimilation of long time series of observations with an unvarying assimilation system to produce data sets for a variety of applications; for example, climate, chemistry-transport, and process studies. Because the longest, most complete set of observations exists for the atmosphere, reanalyses have focused on atmospheric assimilation. As the satellite records of chemical, land and oceanic parameters lengthen in time, reanalyses will be of interest to these fields. In this chapter discussion will be drawn from the experience of atmospheric reanalysis, but the issues raised are relevant to all types of reanalysis.
KeywordsData Assimilation Bias Correction Outgoing Longwave Radiation Tropical Rainfall Measurement Mission Radiosonde Observation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Douglass A. R., M. R. Schoeberl, R. B. Rood, and S. Pawson, 2003: Evaluation of transport in the lower tropical stratosphere in a global chemistry and transport model. J. Geophys. Res., 108, to appear.Google Scholar
- Gibson, J. K., P. Kållberg, S. Uppala, A. Nomura, A. Hernández, E. Serrano, 1997: ERA Description, ECMWF Re-analysis Final Report Series, 1.Google Scholar
- Hou, A. Y., S. Q. Zhang, A. M. da Silva, W. S. Olson, C. D. Kummerow, and J. Simpson, 2001: Improving global analysis and short-range forecast using rainfall and moisture observations derived from TRMM and SSM/I passive microwave sensors. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 81, 659–679.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hou, A. Y., S. Q. Zhang, O. Reale, 2002: Variational continuous assimilation of TMI and SSM/I rain rates: Impact on GEOS3 analysis and forecast. Mon. Wea. Rev. (Manuscript in preparation, contact Arthur.Y.Hou.firstname.lastname@example.org). Kalnay, E., and R. Jenne, 1991: Summary of the NMC/NCAR Reanalysis Workshop of April 1991. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 72, 1897–1904.Google Scholar
- Lait, L. R. 2002: Systematic differences between radiosonde measurements. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, 10.1029/2001GL014337.Google Scholar
- Morel, P., 2001: Why GEWEX? The agenda for a global energy and water cycle research program. GEWEX News, 11, 1–11.Google Scholar
- Newson, R., 1998: Results of the WCRP First International Conference on Reanalysis. GEWEX News, 8, 3–4.Google Scholar
- Onogi, K., 2000: ERA-40 Project Report Series 2. The long-term performance of the radiosonde observing system to be used in ERA-40, European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts August 2000, 77 pp.Google Scholar
- Schoeberl, M. R., A. R. Douglass, Z. Zhu, and S. Pawson, 2003: A comparison of the lower stratospheric age-spectra derived from a general circulation model and two data assimilation systems. J. Geophys. Res., 108, 10.1029/2002JD002652.Google Scholar
- Simmons, A. J. and J. K. Gibson, 2000: ERA-40 Project Report Series 1. The ERA-40 Project Plan, European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts, March 2000, 62 pp.Google Scholar
- WCRP, 1998: Proceedings of the First WCRP International Conference on Reanalyses (Silver Spring, MD, USA, 27–31 October, 1997), WMO/TD-N 876.Google Scholar
- WCRP, 2000: Proceedings of the Second WCRP International Conference on Reanalyses (Wokefield Park, nr. Reading, UK, 23–27 August 1999), WCRPGoogle Scholar