History of Cardiac Pacing
- 36 Downloads
The first drawing of the heart known to mankind was made 50,000 years before Christ in a grotto in Altamira in Spain. The drawing not only pictures the heart roughly as we know it today, but it also was positioned well in the body of the animal. This was no coincidence. The people who made the drawing were hunters, and they had to know where to hit the animal most effectively. The heart was known to be important. The Greeks called it the ‘Acropolis of the body’. Galen, a famous medical researcher and practitioner in Roman times, analysed the function of the heart and the correlation between the various heart compartments. His — partly incorrect — concept of the function of the heart and the peripheral pulse dominated the medical scene for over fifteen centuries. This persisted until 1628 when William Harvey in England wrote his famousDe motu cordis that brought us the modern concepts of circulation and the heart.
KeywordsCardiac Pace Sick Sinus Syndrome Peripheral Pulse Copper Sulphide Artificial Pacemaker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schechter DC, Lillehei CW, Soffer:History of heart block.Diseases of the chest 55 (suppl 1), 1969.Google Scholar
- 2.Schechter DC:Origins of electrotherapy.New York State J Medlh 11–12, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Schechter DC, Background of clinical cardiac electrostimulation.New York State J Med 71–72, 1971–1972.Google Scholar
- 4.Thalen HJTh, van den Berg JW, Homan van der Heide JN, Nieveen J:The artificial cardiac pace¬maker, its history, development and clinical application, Assen, Van Gorcum, 1969 (3rd printing 1975 ).Google Scholar
- 5.Glenn WWL (ed):Cardiac pacemakers.Ann New York Ac Sciences 11 (3):813–1122, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Furman S (ed):Advances in cardiac pacemakers.Ann New York Ac Sciences 167 (2):515–1075, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.Dodinot B (ed):Clinical aspects of long-term cardiac pacing.Ann de Cardiol et d Angéiol 20 (4):281–557, 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.Thalen HJTh (ed):Cardiac pacing:proceedings of the fourth international symposium, Assen, Van Gorcum 1973Google Scholar
- 9.Watanabe Y (ed):Cardiac pacing:proceedings of the fifth international symposium, Amsterdam, Excerpta Medica, 1977.Google Scholar