Prostatic carcinoma is the second most common malignancy in American men and the most common cause of cancer death in men over 55 years old (Catalona and Scott 1978). Although rectal examination is essential for early detection, the diagnosis of prostatic malignancy rests on microscopic examination of biopsy material from the suspicious area(s). Several methods of histologic and cytologic diagnosis of prostatic carcinoma have been advocated. Among these the needle biopsy is the most popular (Catalona and Scott 1978). In this chapter, the indications, advantages and techniques of the different methods of prostatic biopsy are described.
KeywordsNeedle Biopsy Prostatic Carcinoma Prostatic Biopsy Transurethral Resection Aspiration Biopsy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astraldi A: Diagnosis of cancer of the prostate: biopsy by rectal route. Urol and Cutan Review 41: 421, 1973.Google Scholar
- Bissada NK, Rountree, GA and Sulieman JS: Factors affecting accuracy and morbidity in transrectal biopsy of the prostate. Surg Gynec and Obstet 145: 869, 1977.Google Scholar
- Boyer WF:Carcinoma of the prostate: A cytological study. J Urol 63: 334 1950.Google Scholar
- Culp OS: Significance and treatment of prostatic nodules. Journal of Mich Med Soc 58: 585, 1959.Google Scholar
- Day E: Early case finding. In: Proc Third Nat Cancer Conf Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1957, p 196.Google Scholar
- Eposti PL: Cytologic diagnosis of prostatic tumors with the aid of transrectal aspiration biopsy. A critical review of 1,110 cases and a report of a morphologic and cytochemical studies. Acta Cytol 10: 182, 1966.Google Scholar
- Fortunof S: Needle biopsy of the prostate: A review of 346 biopsies. J Urol 87: 159, 1962.Google Scholar
- Ferguson RS: Diagnosis and treatment of early carcinoma of the prostate. J Urol 37: 774. 1937.Google Scholar
- Goodwin WE: Early case finding. In: Proc Third Nat Cancer Conf Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1975, p 196.Google Scholar
- Hudson PB, Finkle AL, Trifilio A, Wolan CT: Prostatic cancer: IX. Value of transurethral biopsy in search of early prostatic carcinoma. Surg. 35: 897, 1954.Google Scholar
- Kirchheim D: Prostatic biopsy. In: Glenn JF, ed. Urologic surgery, second edition. Hagerstown: Harper and Row, 1975, chap 39, pp 539 - 545.Google Scholar
- Moore RA: The morphology of small prostatic carcinoma. J Urol 33: 224, 1935.Google Scholar
- Mulholland, SW: A study of prostatic secretion and its relation to malignancy. Proc Staff Meet Clin 6: 733, 1931.Google Scholar