Serial Prostatic Biopsies: Application in Control and Management of Benign and Malignant Prostatic Disease
The advent of prostatic biopsy — whether performed as needle biopsy or needle aspiration biopsy — has made it possible preoperatively to diagnose prostatic diseases with acceptable accuracy. It has also made it possible, at least theoretically, to follow histologically the effect of a specific treatment by performing serial prostatic biopsies. The diagnosis of benign prostatic hypertrophy is largely a clinical one, whereas the final diagnosis of prostatic cancer is a microscopic one. The diagnostic value of needle biopsy for the diagnosis of cancer of the prostate has been discussed in the preceding chapter.
KeywordsRadical Prostatectomy Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy Balloon Cell Serial Biopsy Needle Biopsy Specimen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cantril ST, Vaeth JM, Green JP, Schroeder AF: Radiation therapy for localized carcinoma of the prostate. Correlation with histopathological grading. Front Radiation Ther Oncol 9: 274, 1974.Google Scholar
- Culp OS: Radical perineal prostatectomy: its past, present and possible future. J Urol 98: 618, 1968.Google Scholar
- Huggins C, Stevens RA: The effect of castration on benign hypertrophy of the prostate in man. J Urol 43: 705, 1940.Google Scholar
- Mollenkamp JS, Cooper JF, Kagan AR: Clinical experience with supervoltage radiotherapy in carcinoma of the prostate. A preliminary report. J Urol 1 13: 374, 1975.Google Scholar
- Praetorius M, Faul P, v Lieven H, Buttler R: Zur Strahlenbehandlung niederdifferenzierter Prostatakarzinome. Ein vorläufiger Bericht. Münch Med Wochenschr 116: 27, 1974.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez-Antunez A, Cook SA, Jelden GL, Hunter TW, Straffon RA, Stewart BH: Management of primary and metastatic carcinoma of the prostate by the radiotherapist. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 111: 876, 1973.Google Scholar
- Schenken JR, Burns EL, Kahle PJ: Effect of diethylstilbestrol and diethylstilbestrol dipropionate on carcinoma of prostate gland; II, cytologic changes following treatment. J Urol 48: 99. 1942.Google Scholar
- Starklint H: Studies on latent and manifest cancer of the prostate (thesis). Copenhagen: E. Munksgaards Forlag, 1950.Google Scholar
- Wolf H, Madsen PO: Treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy with progestational agents. J Urol 99: 780, 1968,Google Scholar