Prior to the advent of gray scale technology, ultrasound evaluation of the internal structure of the liver was inaccurate. Only the gross hepatic contours could be assessed; intrahepatic abnormalities were diagnosed only with the greatest of difficulty. During the past several years, it has been successfully demonstrated that the internal structure of the liver and parenchymal abnormalities could be easily identified and assessed with gray scale techniques (Bryan et al. 1977; Carlsen 1975; Green et al. 1977; McArdle 1976; Scheible, Gosink, and Leopold 1977; Taylor, Carpenter, and McCready 1973; Taylor et al. 1976). This section describes the technique, normal ultrasonic hepatic anatomy, and ultrasonic appearance of various intrahepatic disorders.
KeywordsPortal Vein Liver Metastasis Inferior Vena Cava Hepatic Vein Inferior Vena
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albertson, K. W., and Leopold, G. R. Liver. Pp. 103–136 in Abdominal Gray Scale Ultrasonography. Goldberg, B. ed. New York: Wiley Medical Publications, 1977.Google Scholar
- Doust, B. D. Abscesses, hematomas and other fluid collections. In Abdominal gray scale ultrasonography, ed. B. Goldberg. New York: Wiley Medical Publications, 1977, pp. 231–259.Google Scholar
- Katragadda, C. S.; Goldstein, H. M.; and Green, B. Gray scale ultrasonography of calcified liver metastases. Am. J. Roentgenol. 129: 591–593, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kressel, H. Y., and Filly, R. A. Ultrasonographic appearance of gas-containing abscesses in the abdomen. Am. J. Roentgenol. 130: 71–73, 1978.Google Scholar
- Sanders, R. C.; Conrad, M. R.; and White, Jr., R. I. Normal and abnormal upper abdominal venous structures as seen by ultrasound. Am. J. Roentgenol. 128: 657–662, 1977.Google Scholar
- Scheible, W.; Gosink, B. B.; Leopold, G. R. Gray scale echographic patterns of hepatic metastatic disease. Am. J. Roentgenol. 129: 983–987, 1977.Google Scholar
- Weaver, R. et al. Gray scale ultrasonic evaluation of hepatic cystic disease. Am. J. Roentgenol. 130: 849–852, 1978.Google Scholar