Historically, the examination of the female pelvis with diagnostic ultrasound was one of the earlier applications of this burgeoning area of medical imaging (Donald, MacVicar, and Brown 1958; Donald and Brown 1961; MacVicar and Donald 1963; Taylor et al. 1964). The safety, speed, and information obtained from the examination of the gravid uterus has made it one of the most rewarding and useful of all ultrasound examinations. Many improvements have taken place since the days of the first experiments performed by Dr. Ian Donald in Scotland (Donald, MacVicar, and Brown 1958). Examinations may now be performed by a skilled operator with relative ease and speed; most procedures require less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
KeywordsAmniotic Fluid Ectopic Pregnancy Placenta Previa Fetal Head Hydatidiform Mole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benirschke, K. E., and Driscoll, S. G. The pathology of the human placenta. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1967.Google Scholar
- Brown, R. E. Ultrasonography. Basic principles and clinical applications, St. Louis: Warren H. Green, Inc., 1975.Google Scholar
- Cohen, W. N. et al. Correlation of ultrasound and radioisotope placentography. Am. J. Roentgenol. 116: 843, 1972.Google Scholar
- Dorros, G. The prenatal diagnosis of intrauterine growth retardation in one fetus of a twin gestation. Obstet. Gynecol. 48: 475, 1976.Google Scholar
- Eastman, N. J., and Hellman, L. M. Obstetrics. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1966.Google Scholar
- Fagan, C. J. Antepartum diagnosis of conjoined twins by ultrasonography. Am. J. Roentgenol. 129: 921, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, M.; Hellman, L. M.; and Cromb, E.Atlas of Ultrasonography in obstetrics and gynecology. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1972.Google Scholar
- Langman, J. Medical Embryology. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins Co., 1969.Google Scholar
- Leopold, G. R., and Asher, W. M. Fundamentals of abdominal and pelvic ultrasonography. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co., 1975.Google Scholar
- Sanders, R. C.; Curtin, M. J.; and Tapper, A. J. Ultrasound in the management of elective abortion. Am. J. Roentgenol. 125: 469, 1975.Google Scholar
- Warkany, J. Congenital malformations. Chicago: Year Book, 1971.Google Scholar
- Williams, P. L.; Wendell-Smith, C. P.; and Treadgold, S. Basic human embryology. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Co., 1966.Google Scholar