In this chapter I would like to discuss platelet collection techniques and quality control; the more clinical aspects will be covered by other contributors. In the first place it would be preferable to look at platelets from the point of view of the physician using them — what he needs to know so that his use of platelets will be intelligent and directed by background knowledge of where platelets are found, how they are harvested and stored, and the clinical realities of platelet transfusion.
KeywordsPlatelet Transfusion Buffy Coat Platelet Storage Hospital Blood Bank Platelet Collection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Keynes, G. L. (1949). Blood Transfusion. (Bristol: John Wright)Google Scholar
- 2.Mollison, P. L. (1956). Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine. (Oxford: Oxford University Press)Google Scholar
- 3.American Association of Blood Banks’ Technical Manual. (1960)Google Scholar
- 4.Gronkitc and Jackson. (1959). In L. M. Tocantins (ed.) Progress in Haematology. Vol. 2. (New York: Grune and Stratton)Google Scholar
- 5.Huestis, D. W., Bove, J. R. and Busch, S. (1969). Practical Blood Transfusion. (Boston: Little, Brown and Co.)Google Scholar
- 6.American National Red Cross Usage of Components. (1975)Google Scholar