Comparison of Techniques for Assessment of the Contamination of Pasture Herbage with Infective Nematode Larvae
Comparison of various sampling and Laboratory techniques to evaluate the concentration of infective nematode larvae on pasture herbage for cattle and to estimate the workload in the laboratory has been undertaken. We recommend for routine use (a) for pasture sampling procedures to take separately and at random a large number of sub-samples near the dung pats (near DP) and far from the dung pats (far DP); (b) for laboratory procedures the herbage sample can be processed either with one-day soaking or with washing in a cement mixer and sieved on a specially designed funnel. The larvae are collected on a 20 μm sieve and recovered on mercuric and potassium iodide solution (sg = 1.44).
KeywordsLaboratory Procedure Potassium Iodide Grazing Season Strip Sampling Herbage Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boag, B. and Thomas, R.J., 1975. Epidemiological studies on Nematodirus species in sheep. Res. Vet. Sci. 19, 263–268.Google Scholar
- Borgsteede, M. and Kloosterman, A., 1977. Epidemiology and prevention of Trichostrongylid infections in cattle. Tijdsch. Diergeneesk 102, (24) 1428.Google Scholar
- Downey, N.E., 1973. Nematode parasite infections of calf pasture in relation to the health and performance of grazing calves. Vet. Rec. 93, 505–514.Google Scholar
- Gruner, L., Mauleon, H., Hubert, J. and Sauve, D., 1980. Study of gastrointestinal strongylosis in a flock on permanent pasture. II Pasture infestation in 1977 and epidemiological discussion. Ann. Rech. Vet. 11 (2) (in press).Google Scholar
- Kloosterman, A., 1971. Observations on the epidemiology of Trichostrongyl-osis of calves. Medel. Land. Wageningen No. 71–70, 114p.Google Scholar
- Michel, J.F., 1966. The epidemiology and control of parasitic gastroenteritis in calves. Proc. 4th int. Meet. Wld. Ass. Buiatrics 272–288.Google Scholar
- Michel, J.F. and Parfitt, J.W., 1956. An experimental study of the epidemiology of parasitic bronchitis in calves. Vet. rec. 68, 706–710.Google Scholar
- Rose, J.H., 1975. The significance of Nematodirus helvetianus eggs which have survived on a pasture throughout the winter in the transmission of infection to calves. Res. vet. Sci. 18, 175–177.Google Scholar