Recent Results on Epidemiology of Nematode Infections in Beef and Dairy Cattle in France
Beef herds: a type of breeding and production typical of this enter prise in France was investigated. Eleven calves (first year on pasture; suckling, then weaned) and 42 heifers were sacrificed between April and November. Moreoever, egg counts and performances were checked on 157 calves and 392 heifers in a field trial concerned with strategic treatments. Calves were infected late in the season, mainly by ostertagia. Treatment was given at the time of housing.
Early in the season the heifers showed a self-cure and after July the number of parasites increased significantly (mainly ostertagia, then Trichostrongylus axei and Cooperia). Two treatments were given in July — August and September — October.
Dairy herds: an experiment was conducted in a typical intensive breeding system (Normandy, Western France). Twenty calves were raised on two permanent pastures and additional calves were used as tracers.
Ostertagia and Cooperia were the main parasites responsible for pasture contamination and calf infections. An ‘early July rise’ of larval counts, high enough to induce clinical symptoms, was well controlled by treatments. To appreciate the pasture contamination, herbage samplings or tracer calves could be used. They are of equivalent value, but the latter gives information on retarded larvae picked up Zate in the season. The value of this information for understanding the parasitism of continuously grazing animals has still to be examined.
KeywordsWorm Burden Dairy Herd Daily Weight Gain Grazing Season Permanent Pasture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jolivet, G., Le Stang, J.P. and Delcure, J., 1973. Etude de l’incidence des strongyloses digestives sur la croissance des jeunes bovins au pâturage. Expérimentations en élevages. Rec. Med. Vét., 124, 11. 1351–1375.Google Scholar
- Jolivet, G., Le Stang, J.P. and Delcure, J., 1974. Etudes le l’incidence des strongyloses digestives sur la croissance des jeunes bovins au pâturage. Expérimentations en station. Rec. Med. Vét., 125, 3, 319–349.Google Scholar
- Le Stang, J.P., Jolivet, G. and Delcure, H., 1976. Prophylaxie des strongyloses des jeunes bovins au pâturage. Brochure 48 pages publiée par l’I.T.E.B., Paris.Google Scholar
- Mage, C., 1979. Etude du parasitisme en troupeau de vaches allaitantes. Brochure I.T.E.B., 144 pages, No. 79071.Google Scholar
- Raynaud, J.-P., Laudren, C. and Jolivet, G., 1974. Interpretation épidémiologique des Nematodoses gastro-intestinales bovines évoluant au Pâturage sur animaux ‘traceurs’. Ann. Rech. Vétér., 5, (2) 115–145.Google Scholar
- Raynaud, J.-P. and Bouchet, A., 1976. Bovine ostertagiosis, a review. Analysis of types and syndromes found in France by post mortem examinations and total worm counts. Ann. Rech. Vétér., 7, (3), 253–280.Google Scholar