An Evaluation of Anthelmintic Treatment in a Dairy Herd
Faecal egg count and milk production data are given for 48 pairs of cows from a single herd, paired on previous yield, parity and expected calving date, one of each pair being dosed at calving with 66 mg/kg Thiabendazole. Mean 305 day yields were 5 445 kg and 5 608 kg respectively in treated and control groups, and no significant differences in yield, milk fat or protein were recorded. Faecal egg counts were similar in both groups, a salt flotation method showing 25 – 29% infection and 3.7 – 3.9 epg at mid lactation, and flotation was shown to be more sensitive than a modified McMaster method. Data analysis showed a high degree of within group variation and a consideration of this and other reported data suggests that Zarge groups of cows should be used for these trials in preference to smaller numbers of closely paired animals.
KeywordsMilk Production Milk Yield Anthelmintic Treatment Flotation Technique Previous Yield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bliss, D.H. and Todd, A.C., 1973. Milk production by Wisconsin dairy cattle after deworming with Baymix. Vet. Med. and Small Animal Clinician 68, 1034–1038.Google Scholar
- Bliss, D.H. and Todd, A.C., 1974. Milk production by Wisconsin dairy cattle after deworming with thiabendazole. Vet. Med. and Small Animal Clinician 69, 638–640.Google Scholar
- Bliss, D.H. and Todd, A.C., 1976. Milk production by Vermont dairy cattle after deworming. Vet. Med. and Small Animal Clinician 71, 1251–1254.Google Scholar
- Cox, D.D. and Todd, A.C., 1962. Survey of gastro-intestinal parasitism in Wisconsin dairy cattle. J.A.V.M.A. 141, 706–709.Google Scholar
- Fox, M.T., 1979. ‘De-worming of cows–What are the benefits? Vet. Rec. 105, 315–316.Google Scholar
- Harris, B. Jr. and Wilcox, C.J., 1976. Effects of anthelmintics on milk production. J. Dairy Sci. 59, 20–21.Google Scholar
- McGregor, J.K. and Kingscote, A.A., 1957. A survey of gastro-intestinal helminths of cattle in Ontario. Caned. J. Comp. Med. 21, 370–373.Google Scholar
- Pluimers, E.J., 1979. Milk production increase following treatment of Dutch dairy cattle with thiabendazole. Vet. Quarterly 1, 82–89.Google Scholar
- Pouplard, L., 1977. Treatment of gastro-intestinal helminthiasis of the dairy cow. 8th Int. Conf. W.A.A.V.P. 150 (Abstracts).Google Scholar
- Todd, A.C., Myers, G.H., Bliss, D.H. and Cox, D.D., 1972. Milk production in Wisconsin dairy cattle after anthelmintic treatment. Vet. Med. and Small Animal Clinician, 67, 1233–1236.Google Scholar