Antibiotic Treatment of Chronic Bronchitis
Chronic bronchitis remains a major cause of disability in the middle aged and elderly and is responsible for approximately 20000 deaths each year in the United Kingdom. Despite the importance of cigarette smoking in the aetiology of this disease, environmental and social factors are also of consequence. Indeed recent information suggests that both disability and death from chronic bronchitis are decreasing in the U.K. possibly as a result of the clean air policy which has dramatically reduced the level of atmospheric pollution . The prevalence of chronic bronchitis varies greatly in different countries independent of cigarette smoking, and between rural and urban areas . However, in one recent study of over 12 000 individuals aged between 45 and 70 years old in South East London, symptoms of chronic bronchitis were reported in 15% .
KeywordsForce Vital Capacity Acute Exacerbation Chronic Bronchitis Haemophilus Influenzae Airflow Obstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Reid DD: The international background to studies of chronic non-specific lung disease in children. In: Bronchitis III (Orie NGM Van der Leude R eds), Royal Van Gorcum, Assen, 1970.Google Scholar
- 3.D’Souza MF, Davies RJ, Swan AV: Factors associated with reported asthma in middle age. 1980, in press.Google Scholar
- 4.Medical Research Council: Definition and classification of chronic bronchitis for clinical and epidemiological purposes. Lancet 1: 775, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.Gregg I: The role of viral infection in asthma and bronchitis. Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. Publication No. 46, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.May JR: The bacteriology of chronic bronchitis. Lancet, 2: 534, 1953.Google Scholar
- 24.Cotes JE: Lung Function Assessment and Application in Medicine, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, 1975, p. 386.Google Scholar
- 32.Fletcher CM, Peto R, Speizer FS, Tinker CM: A follow-up study of the natural history of obstructive bronchitis. In: Bronchitis III ( Orie NGM, Van der Lende R, eds.), Royal Vangorcum, Assen, 1970, p. 103.Google Scholar
- 34.Fletcher CM, Peto R, Tinker C, Speizer FE: The Natural History of Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1976.Google Scholar