Determination of Coordinates for the Orroral Lunar Ranging Station
Using models of the Earth-Moon system developed from analysis of 10 years of laser ranging observations from the McDonald Observatory, we have analyzed observations obtained by the Orroral Lunar Ranging Station since April 1978. Normal point residuals from many of the observations performed before April 1980 using a 20 ns, multiple-mode laser pulse are discreetly spaced, as multiples of 6 ns, and may have been corrupted by variations in pulse shape. Further evaluation is required before these observations are used in scientific analyses. Observations performed during the MERIT Short Campaign (August — October 1980) using a 6 ns, single-mode pulse are apparently reliable. Using 27 single photoelectron events, obtained on 7 nights during this period, we have estimated the coordinates of Orroral, with respect to McDonald, with uncertainties of 1–2 m in cylindrical radius and longitude and 5–10 m in z-axis distance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ash,M.E.: 1972, Determination of Satellite orbits,Tech.Note 1972-5, Lincoln Lab.,Mass.Inst.of Technol.,Lexington.Google Scholar
- Calame,O.:1979, Earth Rotation by Lunar Distances (EROLD), Preliminary results from the first lunar laser observations in Orroral (Australia), Annual Report for 1978, Bureau International de l’Heure, Paris, p.D-49.Google Scholar
- Cappallo, R.J., Counselman, C.C., King, R.W., and Shapiro, I.I.:1981, Tidal Dissipation in the Moon,J.Geophys.Res.,in press.Google Scholar
- Hothem,L;: 1 979., Determination of Accuracy, Orientation and Scale of Satellite Doppler Point-Positioning Coordinates, Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Satellite Doppler Positioning, p.609-630, University of Texas, Austin.Google Scholar
- Langley, R.B., King, R.W., and Shapiro, I.I.,:1981,Earth Rotation from Lunar Laser Ranging, submitted to J.Geophys.Res.Google Scholar
- Roelse,A.:1981, personal communication.Google Scholar
- Shelus,P.:1981, personal communication.Google Scholar