Einstein Locality for Individual Systems and for Statistical Ensembles
Einstein locality assumes the existence of a separate reality. Formulated deterministically it shows a sharp incompatibility at the empirical level with the predictions of quantum mechanics. This incompatibility is expressed: firstly, by the validity of Bell’s inequality, which is here rigorously deduced with the logical elimination of the completeness idea; secondly, by an observable discrepancy with quantum mechanics for the coincident \(\bar K\bar K\) - detection rate in the JPC =1--state of two K° ’s. A probabilistic generalization of Einstein locality is presented: It leads to a new and more general inequality often violated by quantum mechanics.
KeywordsState Vector Singlet State Physical Reality Statistical Ensemble Individual System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, and N. Rosen, Phys. Rev. 47, 777 (1935).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Popper, Unended Quest ( an intellectual autobiography) (Fontana/Collins, London, 1978 ), p. 152.Google Scholar
- 4.F. Selleri, The Debate about Quantum Theory (D. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1984 ), to be published; Die Debatte urn die Quantentheorie ( Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1983 ).Google Scholar
- J.S. Bell, Physics 1, 195 (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.This was essentially Bohr’s view; see N. Bohr, Phys. Rev. 48, 696 (1935).Google Scholar
- 7.O. Costa de Beauregard, Found. Phys. 10, 513 (1980). H.P. Stapp, Found. Phys. 10, 767 (1980). W.Rietdijk, Found. Phys. 11, 783 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.J.P. Vigier, Lett. Nuovo Cimento 24, 258 (1979). D. Bohm and B.J. Hiley, Found. Phys. 5, 93 (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Roos, Test of Einstein locality, Helsinky preprint (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Six, Phys. Lett. 114B, 200 (1982).Google Scholar
- 15.B. Galvan, Thesis, University of Pisa (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.T.W. Marshall, E. Santos, and F. Selleri, Phys. Lett. 98A, 5 (1983); Lett. Nuovo Cimento 38, 417 (1983); see also F. Selleri, Lett. Nuovo Cimento, to be published, and T.W. Marshall, Phys. Lett. 99A, 163 (1983). 17.Google Scholar
- 17.See also T.W. Marshall et al. in these proceedings.Google Scholar