Character Recognition by Means of Fuzzy Set Reasoning
This paper presents the use of fuzzy set reasoning in the pattern classification stage of a character recogniser. The preprocessing stage involves thinning and tai1-removal, whereas the feature generation stage consists of polygonal approximation and the extraction of the various features. The classification is performed by a parallel fuzzy labelling method tested both on English (Latin) and Greek handwritten characters pointing out the flexibility of the method.
KeywordsCharacter Recognition Polygonal Approximation Handwritten Character Real Node Handwritten Character Recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fu, K. S.: ‘Recent advances in syntactic pattern recognition’, Proc. 4th Int. J. Conf. on Pattrn Recognition. Kyoto, 13–18, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Rosenfeld, A.: ‘Image analysis: Progress, problems and prospects’, Proc. 6th Inter J. Conf. on Pattrn Recognition Munich, 7–15, 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.Favlidis, T.: Structural Pattern Recognition. Springer-Verlag, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Ullmann, J. R.: Pattern Recognition Techniques, Butterworth & Co. Ltd., 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Mantas, J.: ‘A thinning proccess for line-drawn images’, Pattern Recognition Letters, 1985 (submitted).Google Scholar
- 8.Mantas, J. et al.: ‘Feature generation of handwritten characters by a shape analysis method’, Proc. Inter. Conf. on Electronic Image Processing, 149–153, York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 11.Mantas, J. and Heaton, A.G.: ‘Structural patterns and fuzzy labels in character recognition’, Proc. 4th Scandinavian Conf. on Image Analysis, 1, 51–58, Trondheim, Norway, June 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.Mantas, J. and Heaton, A.b.: ‘A Fuzzy Set Reasoning method for the recognition of Greek handwritten characters’, Proc. 1st IFSA Congress, Palma, 1, Spam, 1–6 July, 1985.Google Scholar
- 13.Mantas, J.: ‘A first attempt in recognising Greek hand-drawn characters’, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1985 (submitted).Google Scholar
- 14.Marko, H.: ‘Opening Address’, Proc. 6th Inter. J. Conf. on Pattern Recognition.. Munich, 1982.Google Scholar