Oscillations and Pulsations in the Sun and Stars (Invited Review)
The discovery of the solar global oscillations, and their identification to many radial and nonradial eigenmodes of the Sun, have opened a new important field of research called ‘solar seismology’, in which we may probe the internal structure of the Sun by using its oscillations. In recent years, pulsations and oscillation-related phenomena have also been discovered in many stars which were hitherto regarded as non-pulsating stars. They include white dwarfs (ZZ Ceti-stars), Ap-stars, early-type stars with slow and rapid rotation (53 Per and ζ Oph-stars, respectively). Developments in high spectral and high time-resolution observations will be expected to reveal variability in many other stars as well, in near future.
In this review, the general properties of stellar eigenmode oscillations are first discussed. Recent observational and theoretical develepments in the solar seismology and on pulsations and oscillations of newly discovered variable stars will then be reviewed.
KeywordsSolar Phys Monthly Notice Solar Oscillation Radial Velocity Variation White Dwarf Star
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cox, J. P.: 1980, Theory of Stellar Pulsation, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J.Google Scholar
- Dolez, N. and Gough, D. O.: 1982, in J. P. Cox and C. J. Hansen (eds.), Pulsations in Classical and Cataclysmic Variable Stars, JILA, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, p. 248.Google Scholar
- Fossat, E., Grec, G., Gelly, B., and Decanini, Y.: 1984, The Messenger 36, 20.Google Scholar
- Gabriel, M. Scuflaire, R., and Noels, A.: 1982, Astron. Astrophys. 110, 50.Google Scholar
- Grec, G., Fossat, E., and Pomerantz, M.: 1980, Nature 288, 541.Google Scholar
- Grec, G., Fossat, E., and Pomerantz, M.: 1983, Solar Phys. 82, 55.Google Scholar
- Hill, H. A., Stebbins, R. T., and Brown, T. M.: 1976, in J. H. Sanders and A. H. Wapstra (eds.), Atomic Masses and Fundamental Constants, Plenum Press, New York, p. 622.Google Scholar
- McGraw, J. T., Starrfield, S. G., Liebert, J., and Green, R.: 1979, in H. M. Van Horn and V. Weidemann (eds.), ‘White Dwarfs and Variable Degenerate Stars’, IAU Colloq. 53, 377.Google Scholar
- Noels, A., Scuflaire, R., and Gabriel, M.: 1984, Astron. Astrophys. 130, 389.Google Scholar
- Severny, A. B., Kotov, V. A., and Tsap, T. T.: 1976, Nature 259, 87.Google Scholar
- Ulrich, R. K. and Rhodes, E. J., Jr.: 1984, in A. Noels and M. Gabriel (eds) ,Theoretical Problems in Stellar Stability and Oscillations, Université de Liège, Liège, p. 250.Google Scholar
- Unno, W., Osaki, Y., Ando, H., and Shibahashi, H.: 1979, Nonradial Oscillations of Stars, University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Winget, D. E., Robinson, E. L., Nather, E., and Fontaine, G.: 1982b, Astrophys. J. 262, Lll.Google Scholar