Collective Properties of a Magnitude-Limited Sample of Cataclysmic Binaries
- 28 Downloads
Results of an analytical discussion of observational selection in a magnitude-limited sample of cataclysmic binaries (CBs) are presented. It is shown that the dependence of the strength of selection in favour of massive white dwarfs, of the mean orbital inclination and the fraction of eclipsing systems in a sample on the limiting magitude m reflects the large-scale distribution of CBs in the galaxy and the influence of interstellar absorption. Furthermore it is shown how selection in favour of massive white dwarfs depends on the mass radius relation of white dwarfs.
KeywordsSelection Function Accretion Disk Collective Property Orbital Inclination Cataclysmic Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ritter, H., Burkert, A. 1985, in Recent Results on Cataclysmic Variables, ed. W. Burke, Bamberg, ESA SP-236, p. 17Google Scholar
- Ritter, H. 1986a, in The Evolution of Galactic X-Ray Binaries, eds. J. Trümper, W.H.G. Lewin and W. Brinkmann, NATO ASI Series Vol. 167, D. Reidel (Dordrecht), p. 271Google Scholar
- Ritter, H. 1986b, Astron. Astrophys., in pressGoogle Scholar
- Ritter, H. 1986c, “Catalogue of Cataclysmic Binaries, Low-Mass X-Ray Binaries and Related Objects, 4th edition”, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- Ritter, H., Òzkan, M.T. 1986, Astron Astrophys., in pressGoogle Scholar