Discovery and Study of Planetary Systems Using Astrometry from Space
Much attention has been given over recent years to the question of discovering planetary systems around other stars. The interest in this question is provoked by both scientific and human imperatives. In this paper, I want to discuss the real intellectual issues that must be confronted in any attempt to discover planetary systems and the implications that these have for the performance of instruments built for that task. And, finally, I want to discuss the progress that potentially can be made with precise astrometric measurements. I will focus here on the general question of planet system discovery and study, and I will not take up other fascinating questions posed by more specialized—and perhaps more futuristic—approaches to the detection of possible markers of extraterrestrial life (Angel 1987; Burke 1987).
KeywordsSolar System Planetary System Giant Planet Binary Star Central Star
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angel, J. R. P. 1987, Proc. IAU Colloq., Bistronomy—The Next Steps, George Marx, ed., 99, (Reidel Publ., The Netherlands).Google Scholar
- Black, D. C. and Rathjen, S., Editors 1984, Report from NASA-Ames Science Workshop, Toward Detection and Study of Other Planetary Systems, (NASA-Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California).Google Scholar
- Burke, B. F., 1987 Proc. IAU Colloq., Bistronomy—The Next Steps, George Marx, ed., 99, (Reidel Publ., The Netherlands).Google Scholar
- Campbell, B., Walker, G. A. H., Pritchet, C., and Long, B. 1986, Astrophysics of Brown Dwarfs, (Kafatos, M. C., Harrington, R. S., and Maran, S. P., eds.; Cambridge Univ. Pr., London), 37.Google Scholar
- Gatewood, G. D., de Jonge, J. K., Stein, J., Han, I., and Breakiron, L. 1986, Astrophysics of Brown Dwarfs, (Kafatos, M. C., Harrington, R. S., and Maran, S. P., eds.; Cambridge Univ. Pr., London), 104.Google Scholar
- Levy, E. H., Gatewood, G. D., Stein, J. W., and McMillan, R. S. 1986, Proc. S.P.I.E., 628, 181.Google Scholar
- Sobeck, C. (Editor) 1987, NASA TM-89429.Google Scholar