Radio Emission from Active Young Stars in the Rho Ophiuchi Cloud
Multi-epoch radio-continuum surveys of the ρ Ophiuchi dark cloud were conducted with the Very Large Array to look for counterparts of over a hundred low mass pre-main-sequence stars, about half of which were found in a previous X-ray survey. A modest fraction of these are found to exhibit radio emission. No optical T Tauri star with strong Ha emission is detected; on the contrary, the emitting objects seem to lack dense circumstellar environment. Though a majority of the detected stellar sources have quiescent radio emission, two late-type PMS stars have shown radio flares similar to the largest flares seen on RS CVn systems. There is evidence that the radio-emitting objects are a class of PMS stars characterized by extended magnetic fields, and emit via the gyrosynchrotron mechanism.
KeywordsRadio Emission Radio Source Tauri Star Stellar Radius Christmas Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- André, Ph.: 1987, in Montmerle and Bertout 1987.Google Scholar
- André, Ph., Montmerle, T., Feigelson, E.D., and Stine, P.C.: 1987b, in Circumstellar Matter, IAU Symp. No. 122, eds. I. Appenzeller and C. Jordan (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 61.Google Scholar
- André, Ph., Montmerle, T., Feigelson, E.D., Stine, P.C., and Klein, K.L.: 1987c, submitted to Ap. J.Google Scholar
- Bouvier, J.: 1987, in Montmerle and Bertout 1987.Google Scholar
- Feigelson, E.D.: 1987a, in Montmerle and Bertout 1987.Google Scholar
- Feigelson, E.D.: 1987b, in Proceedings of the 5th Cambridge Cool Star Workshop, eds. J.L. Linsky and R. Stencel (Berlin: Springer), in press.Google Scholar
- Gahm, G.F.: 1986, in Flares: Solar and stellar, ed. P.M. Gondhalekar (Rutherford Appleton Laboratory), RAL—86–085, p. 124.Google Scholar
- Montmerle, T.: 1987, in Solar and Stellar Physics, eds. E.H. Schroter and M. Schussler (Berlin: Springer), in press.Google Scholar
- Montmerle, T., André, Ph., Feigelson, E.D., Stine, P., and Bouvier, J.: 1987, in Star Forming Regions, IAU Symp. No. 115, eds. M. Peimbert and J. Jugaku (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 45.Google Scholar
- Montmerle, T., and Bertout, C. (eds.): 1987, Protostars and Molecular Clouds (Saclay: CEA/Doc), in press.Google Scholar
- Stine, P.C., Feigelson, E.D., André, Ph., and Montmerle, T.: 1987, submitted to A.J.Google Scholar