Determining the Currents Over Phelps Bank
The M2 tidal currents over Phelps Bank are examined using a fully nonlinear model. Simulations with resolutions of 2’ × 2’ and 0.5’ × 0.5’ were made of the full area covering Nantucket Shoals south of Cape Cod. A fine resolution model (0.125’ × 0.125’) was also run over a limited area surrounding Phelps Bank. Agreement was good in amplitude and phase when compared to surface elevation data. The agreement with current meter data was fair in amplitude and poor in phase with the exception that agreement was good at the one Phelps Bank mooring when compared with models of the full area. The limited area model showed signs of instability that were damped out with a horizontal eddy viscosity. Agreement of this model with data from the one available current meter mooring was worse. Different options are available to go from model predictions to the currents necessary for calibration of microwave data obtained over Phelps Bank.
KeywordsTidal Current Naval Research Laboratory Tidal Constituent Tidal Elevation Limited Area Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon 1980: Atlas of Tidal Currents — Bay of Fundy Gulf of Maine, Canadian Hydrographic Service, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- deMargerie, S., 1985: ‘Barotropic tidal circulation of the Scotian Shelf’, Contract Rep. Can. Hydr. Ser., OSC 84–00218, Dartmouth Canada.Google Scholar
- Greenewalt, D., C. Gordon, and J. McGrath, 1983: Eulerian Current Measurements at Phelps Bank, NRL Memo Rep. 5047, US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, 51pp.Google Scholar
- Kaiser, J. A. C., 1983: Data Validation and Summary for the Remote Sensing Experiment: Phelps Bank,July, 1982 Part I: Hydrography, NRL Memo Rep. 5165, US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, 146pp.Google Scholar
- Moody, J. A., B. Butman, R. C. Beardsley, W. S. Brown, P. Daifuku, J. D. Irish, D. A. Mayer, H. O. Mofjeld, B. Petrie, S. Ramp, P. Smith, and W. R. Wright, 1984: ‘Atlas of tidal elevation and current observations on the northeast American continental Shelf and slope’, U. S. Geological Survey Bulletin 1161, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Valenzuela, G. R., D. T. Chen, W. D. Garrett, and J. A. C. Kaiser, 1983: ‘NRL remote sensing experiment’ EOS, 64, 618–619.Google Scholar