Aluminum induced bone disease: Clinical features
In this review of the clinical features of aluminum-induced bone disease, I will discuss several aspects of this clinical problem. I will initially describe which patients are at risk for developing this problem; next I will review the various ways this problem may present, and finally, I will clarify the confusion that often exists between the diagnosis of aluminum toxicity and that of hyperparathyroidism in patients with renal failure.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Maloney MA, Ott SM, Andress DL, Sherrard DJ, 1984: The occurrence of aluminum-iron deposition in renal osteodystrophy: A histochemical method to distinguish aluminum from iron for quantitative histomorphometry. Abstracts from the Sixth Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, p. A45.Google Scholar
- 6.Llach F, Felsenfeld AJ, Coleman MD, et al., 1986: The natural course of dialysis osteomala¬cia. Kidney Int 295: 74.Google Scholar
- 7.Hercz G, Norris KC, Andress DL, et al., 1987: Changes in aplastic bone disease after substitution of calcium carbonate for aluminum gels. Kidney Int (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.Vargas JH, Klein GL, Ament ME, et al., 1987: Metabolic bone disease associated with total parenteral nutrition: Course after reducing aluminum content in parenteral solutions (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Lipkin EW, Ott SM, Klein GL, 1987: Heterogeneity of bone histology in parenteral nutrition patients. Am J Clin Nutr (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.Coburn JW, Norris KC, 1986: Diagnosis of aluminum-related bone disease and treatment of aluminum toxicity with deferoxamine. Semin Nephrol 6: 12-21 (supplement).Google Scholar
- 18.Cochran M, Platts MM, Moorhead PJ, Buxton A, 1981: Spontaneous hypercalcemia in maintenance dialysis patients: An association with atypical osteomalacia and fractures. Mineral Electrolyte Metab 5: 280.Google Scholar
- 19.Sherrard DJ, Ott SM, Maloney NA, et al., 1983: Uremic osteodystrophy: Classification, cause and treatment. In: Clinical Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, Eds. Frame B, Potts JT Jr, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1983, pp. 254 - 259.Google Scholar
- 20.Norris KC, Crooks PW, Nebeker HG, et al., 1985: Clinical and laboratory features of aluminum-related bone disease: Differences between sporadic and “epidemic” forms of the syndrome. Am J Kidney Dis 5: 342.Google Scholar
- 25.Griswold WR, Reznik V, Mendoza SA, et al., 1983: Accumulation of aluminum in a non-dialyzed uremic child receiving aluminum hydroxide. Petiatrics 71: 56.Google Scholar
- 26.Andress DL, Endres DB, Ott SM, Sherrard DJ, 1986: Parathyroid hormone in aluminum bone disease: A comparison of parathyroid assays. Kidney Int 29S: 87.Google Scholar
- 27.Martin KJ, Hruska, Freitag J, et al., 1980: Clinical utility of radioimmunoassays for parathyroid hormone. Miner Electrolyte Metab 3: 283.Google Scholar