Experimental aluminum induced bone disease
The association of aluminum toxicity on the development of osteomalacia and aplastic bone disease in dialysis patients is a subject of major research interest. To study the adverse effect of aluminum on bone, experimental animal models of aluminum induced bone disease have been developed. Although an exact duplication of the bone disease observed in dialysis patients has not been achieved, morphological changes resembling those observed in patients have been produced in the various experimental models of aluminum intoxication. The importance of these animal models is not that they accurately reproduce the disease but that they are useful in studying the mechanisms of bone aluminum toxicity.
KeywordsNormal Renal Function Osteoblastic Activity Aluminum Toxicity Parathyroid Cell Mineralization Front
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.Liu CC, and Howard GA, 1984: Effects of aluminum on bone, in vitro. Clin Res 32: 50A.Google Scholar
- 19.Felsenfeld A, Rodriguez M, and Llach F, 1987: The evolution of osteomalacia in the rat with acute aluminum toxicity. (Abstract). Book of Abstracts, Xth International Congress of Nephrology, p. 158.Google Scholar
- 21.Ittel TH, and Sieberth HG, 1987: Enhanced gastrointestinal absorption of aluminum in uremia: Kinetics and effect of vitamin D. ( Abstract ). Xth International Congress of Nephrology, p. 430.Google Scholar
- 26.Lewis-Finch J, Bergfeld M, Martin IK, Teitelbaum S, and Slatopolsky E, 1986: Hypoparathyroidism is essential for development of aluminum-induced osteomalacia in rats. (Abstract). Kidney Int 29: 218.Google Scholar
- 27.Quarles LD, Gitelman JJ, and Drezner MK, 1987: Aluminum effects on bone: Modulation by parathyroid hormone deficiency. ( Abstract ). Xth International Congress of Nephrology, p. 440, 1987.Google Scholar
- 29.Hodsman AB, Anderson C, Leung FY, 1984: Accelerated accumulation of aluminum by osteoid matrix in vitamin D deficiency. An animal model of aluminum toxicity. Min Electrolyte Metab 10: 309.Google Scholar
- 30.Burnatowska-Hledin MA, Doyle TM, Eadie MJ, and Mayor GH, 1986: 1, 25 dihydroxyvita- min D3 increases serum and tissue accumulation of aluminum in rats. J Lab Clin med 108: 96.Google Scholar
- 35.Morissey J, Slatopolsky E, 1986: The effect of aluminum on parathyroid hormone secretion. Kidney Int 29 (S 18): S41.Google Scholar
- 38.Bourdeau AM, Plachot JJ, Cournot-Witmer G, Pointillart A, Balsan S, and Sachs C, 1987: Parathyroid response to aluminum in vitro: Ultrastructural changes and PTH release. Kidney Int 31: 15.Google Scholar
- 39.Diaz JB, Verbueken AH, Nouwen EJ, D’Haese PC, Lamberts LV, and DeBroe ME, 1987: Aluminum uptake by the parathyroid glands and its subcellular localization in parathyroid cells. (Abstract). Xth International Congress of Nephrology. Book of Abstracts, p. 421.Google Scholar
- 40.Cannata JB, Allende MT, De Francisto AL, Diaz de Grenu MC, Fernandez MD, Sanz- Medel A, 1987: Parathyroid hormone response in clinical and experimental hyper- aluminaemia. ( Abstract ). Xth International Congress of Nephrology, p. 418.Google Scholar