Objective Assessment of Cardiac Function in Vascular Surgery
It is well recognized that patients undergoing peripheral vascular surgery are at risk for postoperative cardiac complications of anesthesia and surgery (1,2). This relates directly to the prevalence of coronary artery disease and/or hypertensive heart disease in such patients. However, as coronary artery disease may be asymptomatic, the preoperative assessment may fail to elicit symptoms or signs of coronary disease. Thus, postoperative complications may occur in patients in whom the absence of symptoms or signs of heart disease may have been falsely reassuring.
KeywordsAbdominal Aortic Aneurysm Cardiac Risk Noncardiac Surgery Myocardial Scintigraphy Hypertensive Heart Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mackey WC, O’Donnell TF, Callow AD. Cardiac risk in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: impact on perioperative and long-term mortality. J Vase Surg 11:226–234, 1990Google Scholar
- 6.Jeffrey CC, Lunsman J, Cullen DJ, Brewster DC. A prospective evaluation of cardiac risk index. Anesthesiology 1983:58: 462–464. 1983Google Scholar
- 11.Hoffmann R, Lethen H, Kleinhans E, Weiss M, Flachskampf FA, Hanrath P. Comparative evaluation of bicycle and dobutamine stress echocardiography with perfusion scintigraphy and bicycle electrocardiogram for identification of coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 72:555–559, 1993PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.McPhail N, Calvin JE, Shariatmadar A, Barber GG, Scobie TK. The use of preoperative exercise testing to predict cardiac complications after arterial reconstruction. J Vase Surg 7:60–68, 1988Google Scholar
- 16.Pasternack PF, Grossi EA, Baumann FG, et al. The value of silent ischemia monitoring in the prediction of perioperative myocardial infarction in patients undergoing peripheral vascular surgery. J Vase Surg 10:617–625, 1989Google Scholar
- 20.Hemming AE, Howell S, Sear JW, Foëx P. Admission blood pressure is predictive of silent myocardial ischaemia in treated hypertension. Br J Anaesth 1993, 71:760P, 1993Google Scholar
- 27.Dirksen JT, Kjoller E. Cardiac predictors of death after non-cardiac surgery evaluated by intention to treat. Lancet 297:1011–1013, 1988Google Scholar
- 31.Mc Cann RL, de Wolfe WG. Resection of abdominal aortic aneurysm in patients with low ejection fraction. J Vasc Surg 10:240–244, 1989Google Scholar