Model building for decision aid in the agri-economic field
For the past ten years ADERSA has been involved in modelling agri-economic phenomena at the French level as well as at the European level, with a view to decision-aiding. The approach taken is original, due to the control engineering background of the team. The object of this chapter is to present the methodology through various examples (French cattle and milk production, European hog livestock, egg production and price formation). The various procedural steps, in some ways analogous to those used in control engineering, will be presented, with emphasis on the methods and tools (Kalman filtering, nonlinear optimization and identification) which, to the authors’ knowledge, have not perfused yet into the econometric field. Beyond the methodological aspects, results interesting at both the French and European levels are presented.
KeywordsKalman Filter Price Model Cattle Herd Fattening System Beef Cattle Herd
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, B. D. O. and Moore, J. B. (1979) Optimal filtering, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs.Google Scholar
- Aoki, M. (1976) Optimal Control and System Theory in Dynamic Economic Analysis, North-Holland Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Himmelblau, D. (1972) Applied Non-linear programming, McGraw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Jazwinski, A. H. (1970) Stochastic Processes and Filtering Theory, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Leibundgut, B., Rault, A. and Gendreau, F. (1983) Applications of Kalman filtering to demographic models. IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control, 28, March.Google Scholar
- Luenberger, D. G. (1979) Introduction to Dynamic Systems: Theory, Models and Applications, Jonn Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Maybeck, P. S. (1979) Stochastic Models, Estimation and Control, vol. 1, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Rault, A. and Leibundgut, B. (1981) Demographic models of French livestock, Proceedings 1st Working Conference On Computer Applications in Food Production and Agriculture Engineering, IFIP, Cuba.Google Scholar
- Smith, D. and Keyfitz, M. (1977) Mathematical Demography, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar