Model Based Optimization of a SCP Fermentation Process
The emphasis of the SCP research at KISR has been on optimizing the process for improved productivity of methanol-utilizing monoculture. The use of computers to optimize and control the fermentation process is of great economic importance1–4. Many citations in the literature show the gain in production of industrial enzymes and SCP by computer control5,6.
KeywordsOxygen Transfer Yield Coefficient Oxygen Transfer Rate Biological Optimization Flow Rate Substrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Humphrey, A.E. (1983) ‘Computer applications for analysis and control of fermentation’ Annual Reports on Fermentation Processes, Vol. 5, New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 4.Oinas, R. (1982) ‘Applications of computers to the monitoring, control and reporting of fermentation processes’ Proc. Biochem. 1982, 10–11.Google Scholar
- 5.Lundell, R. (1982) ‘Practical implementation of basic computer control strategies for enzyme production’ Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. on Computer Applications in Fermentation Technology ed. SCI, pp. 181–189.Google Scholar
- 6.Albrecht, C.F., D. Phland, M. Prause and M. Ringpfeil ‘Optimal control of SCP fermentation process’ Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. on Computer Applications in Fermentation Technology ed. SCI, pp. 191–197.Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, H.Y., G.F. Payne and F. Robinson (1986) ‘Computer control of immobilized product fermentation’ Proc. IFAC Symposium on Modelling and Control of Biotechnological Processes, Pergamon Press, pp. 19–24.Google Scholar
- 12.Hamdan, I., H. Asthana, N. Al-Awadi, A. El-Nawawy, I. Banat and A. Salman (1986) ‘Production of single cell protein from thermotolerant methane utilizing cultures for animal feed’ Perpectives in Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, pp. 49–60.Google Scholar
- 13.Kotob, S., Ch. Albrecht and M.Juraidan (1987) ‘Modelling and Optimization of Fermentation Processes’ Report of Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research.Google Scholar
- 14.Cooper, L. and D. Steinberg ‘Introduction to Methods of Optimization’ W.B. Saunders Company, pp. 311–318.Google Scholar
- 15.IMSL Reference Manual (1980) International Mathematical and Statistical Libraries Inc., Houston, Texas.Google Scholar