The Role of Neodymium-Iron-Boron in Relation to Other Materials for Permanent Magnet Machines with Embedded Rotor Magnets
The performance of permanent magnet machines excited by neodymium magnets is assessed by comparison with samarium cobalt and ferrite magnets. Both 4 pole and 6 pole machines have been constructed using the ‘high field’ configuration developed and patented by the Liverpool group. The characteristics of a drive system involving an ultrasonically modulated inverter and a permanent magnet machine are demonstrated.
KeywordsPermanent Magnet Drive System Pulse Width Modulate Synchronous Machine Rare Earth Magnet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Binns, K.J. 1976. Alternator current generators or motors. U.K. Patent 1437348.Google Scholar
- 2.Binns, K.J. and Jabbar, M.A. 1978. Some recent developments in permanent-magnet machines. Proc. I.C.E.M., Brussels.Google Scholar
- 3.Binns, K.J. 1980. Alternating current rotating electrical machine. U.K. Patent No. 1560971, U.S.A. Patent No. 4 188 554,Google Scholar
- 4.Binns, K.J. and Jabbar, M.A. 1981. Comparison of performance characteristics of a class of high-field permanent-magnet machines for different magnet materials. I.E.E. Conference (S.S.E.M.), London.Google Scholar
- 5.Binns, K.J. 1984. Permanent magnet motors for inverter-fed drives. Conference on Drives, Motors, Controls, Brighton, p.p. 101-105.Google Scholar
- 6.Binns, K.J. and Wong, T.M. 1984. Analysis and performance of a high-field permanent-magnet synchronous machine. Proc. I.E.E., 131, Pt. B, No. 6, p.p. 252–258.Google Scholar
- 7.Binns, K.J., Riley, C.P. and Wong, T.M. 1985. Some design aspects of high-output permanent magnet synchronous machines with non-radial magnets. IEE Conference, Publication No. 254, E.M.D.A., London.Google Scholar
- 8.Binns, K.J. and Riley, C.P. 1986. The scope for development of permanent magnet machines in the light of new materials. Proc. ICEM, Part 3, p.p 1060–1063, Munich.Google Scholar
- 9.Binns, K.J. and Jabbar, M.A. 1981. High-field self-starting permanent-magnet synchronous. Proc. I.E.E., 128, Pt. B, No. 3, p.p 157–160.Google Scholar
- 10.Binns, K.J. and Wong, T.M. 1984. Development of a high performance permanent magnet machine. I.C.E.M. Conference, Lausanne, p.565.Google Scholar
- 11.Binns, K.J. and Wong, T.M. 1984. Analysis and performance of a high-field permanent-magnet synchronous machine. Proc. I.E.E., 131, Pt. B, No. 6, p.p. 252–258.Google Scholar
- 12.Wood, P. 1985. Transformer isolated HEXFET driver provides very large duty and cycle ratios. Application note 950A, International Rectifier.Google Scholar