Intrinsic Properties of Ternary Rare-Earth Compounds from 57Fe, 161Dy, 166Er Mössbauer Spectroscopies
57Fe, 161Dy and 166Er Mössbauer results are reported in the R2Fe14B alloys and some of the corresponding hydrides. The local moments at the six inequivalent iron crystallographic sites are inferred from the 57Fe hyperfine field data. The occurrence of fairly pure Jz = 15/2 state at the two Dy and Er sites is demonstrated from the near free ion values of the rare-earth hyperfine fields. Empirical estimates of the second order crystal field parameters are provided by the 161Dy quadrupole interaction data. Informations on the magnetic structures and spin reorientation phenomena are obtained from the study of magnetically oriented samples. A detailed analysis of the spin reorientation in (Er1-xDyx) 2Fe14B alloys allowed to estimate the importance of higher order crystal field terms (B4 0, B6 0). The study of the R1+εFe4B4 phases indicated that the iron atoms are essentially non-magnetic and revealed the occurrence of a giant value for the crystal field parameter A2 0. The magnetic properties of the Nd (Co1-xFex)9Si2 alloys, inferred by combining bulk measurements with Mössbauer and NMR data, are presented.
KeywordsMossbauer Spectroscopy Crystal Field Hyperfine Field Crystal Field Parameter Spin Reorientation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berthier, Y., Chevalier, B., Etourneau, J., Rechenberg, H.R. and Sanchez, J.P. 1988. Magnetic properties of Nd(Co1 - xFex)9Si2 Alloys from magnetization, NMR and Mössbauer studies (to be published).Google Scholar
- Chevalier, B., Gurov, G., Fournes, L. and Etourneau, J. 1987. New ferromagnetic compounds : the ternary silicides NdCo9-xFexSi2 (0 ≤ x ≤ 5).J. Chem. Research 5, 138.Google Scholar
- Friedt, J.M., Sanchez, J.P., L’Heritier, P. and Fruchart, R.1984. Mössbauer spectroscopy in the RE2Fe14BHxmaterials. In “Proceedings of the Workshop on Nd-Fe Permanent Magnets” (Ed. I.V, Mitchell). (Commission of the European Communities, Brussels), pp.179–182.Google Scholar
- Rechenberg, H.R., Sanchez, J.P., L’heritier, P. and Fruchart, R. 1987a. Crystal-field interactions and spin reorientation in (Er1-xDyx)2Fe14B. Phys. Rev. B 36, 1865–1871.Google Scholar
- Sanchez, J.P. 1987. New permanent magnets investigated by Mossbauer spectroscopy. In “Proceedings of XXII Zakopane School on Physics, Part 2 : condensed matter studies by nuclear methods” (Eds. K. Krolas and K. Tomala) (Institute of Nuclear Physics and Jagiellonian University, Krakow), pp.156–193.Google Scholar