FRP Reinforcement of Externally Pressurised Torispherical Shells
The aim of the paper is to analyse the effectiveness of FRP reinforcement of steel torispherical shells. The failure modes of unreinforced and reinforced torispheres are studied, taking into account the various geometrical and mechanical properties of the shells and reinforced layers. Both local and full reinforcement are considered as well as perfect and imperfect shells. The influence of fibre orientation on the limit pressure is also investigated in order to find the optimal stacking sequence. The theoretical analysis is verified by various experimental tests. However, the tests were limited to just one geometry of steel torisphere, i.e. t s/R = 0·01, R/D = 0·6 and r/D = 0·24.
KeywordsFailure Mode Composite Layer Critical Pressure Limit Pressure Plastic Hinge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tillman, S. C., Some effects of rib-reinforced arrangement on spherical dome buckling. Exp. Meek., 18 (1978) 396–400.Google Scholar
- 3.Amiro, J. J., Gratchev, O. A., Zarutski, V. A., Paltchevsky, A. S. and Sannikov, Yu. A., Stability of Ribbed Shells of Revolution. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 1983 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 4.Capurso, M. and Gandolfi, A., Sull collasso rigide-plastico dei gusci nervati di rivoluzione. Costruzioni Metalichi, 19 (1967) 418–24.Google Scholar
- 5.Nemirovsky, Yu. V., Limit equilibrium of multi-layer reinforced axisymmetric shells. Izv. AN SSR MTT, 6 (1969) 80–9 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 6.Vasiliev, Y V., Elastic—plastic deformations of pressure vessels reinforced by a unidirectional system of glass fibres. Mekhanika Polymerov, 6 (1969) 1069–74 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 7.Muc, A., Reinforcement of externally-pressurised steel domes. Proc. I.Mech.E. (submitted).Google Scholar
- 8.Muc, A., Galletly, G D. and Moreton, D. N., On the buckling of dented torispherical domes reinforced by composites. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Liverpool, Report A/138/88, 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.Save, M. A., Limit analysis and design: an up-to-date subject of engineering plasticity. In Proceedings of the International Symposium Plasticity Today, Modelling Methods and Applications, ed. A. Sawczuk and G Bianchi. Elsevier Science Publishers, London, 1985, pp. 767–85.Google Scholar
- 14.Galletly, G. D. and Muc, A., Buckling of fibre reinforced plastic/steel torispherical shells under external pressure. Proc. I.Mech.E. (in press).Google Scholar