A Micromechanics Based Model for the Creep Of Ice Including the Effects of General Microcracking
A constitutive law for the creep response of ice during general microcracking is developed in this paper. A simple three-bar structure is introduced for uniaxial loading and used to identify the general features of the material response. The processes of crack nucleation and creep deformation of heavily microcracked material are examined in detail and a self consistent model is developed to describe the material response under multiaxial states of stress. The observed effect of hydrostatic pressure on the material response is predicted by the model.
KeywordsSlip Plane Slip Band Creep Deformation Hydrostatic Stress Crack Nucleation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Palmer, A.C., Goodman, D.J., Ashby, M.F., Evans, A.G., Hutchinson, J.W. and Ponter, A.R.S., Fracture and its role in determining ice forces on offshore structures. Annals of Glaciology, 1983, 4, 216–221.Google Scholar
- Nevel, D.E. and Haynes, F.D., Interpretation of the tensile strength of ice under triaxial stress. Report 76–5 Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA, April 1976.Google Scholar
- Jones, S.J., The confined compressive strength of polycrystalline ice. Journal of Glaciology, 1982, 28, 171–177.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, J.W., Creep and plasticity of hexagonal polcrystals as related to single crystal slip. Metall. Trans. A, 8, 1465–1468.Google Scholar
- Stroh, A.N., A theory of the fracture of metals. Advan. Phys., 1957, 6, 418–465.Google Scholar
- Eshelby, J.D., Elastic inclusions and inhomogeneities. Prog. Solid Mech., 1961, 2, 89–140.Google Scholar
- Cocks, A.C.F. and Ponter A.R.S., Constitutive equations for the plastic deformation of solids - II A composite model. Report no. 85–1. Leicester University Engineering Department, Leicester, U.K., Jan. 1985.Google Scholar
- Cocks, A.C.F., Inelastic deformation of porous materials. Report no. 88–4, Leicester University Engineering Department, Leicester, U.K., May 1988.Google Scholar