Non-Oxide Technical Ceramics
- 73 Downloads
An overview is presented of the present status of the advanced non-oxide technical ceramics, namely borides, carbides and nitrides, including an assessment of their present effectiveness, reliability, and future potential. Factors influencing cost and commercial competitiveness and which lead to future research and development requirements, are mentioned. Many examples of application are discussed, with emphasis on non-engine parts.
KeywordsBoron Nitride Boron Carbide Corrosive Wear Pressure Relief Valve Aluminium Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grellner, W., Schweiz, K A. and Lipp, A. Properties and applications of special ceramics (German), Radex-Rundschau, 1/2 (1983) 146–51.Google Scholar
- 2.Knoch, H. Carbide and boride ceramics — availability and commercialization, Proceedings of the 1st European Symposium on Engineering Ceramics, London, 1985, pp. 77–91, Oyez Scientific and Technical Services Ltd.Google Scholar
- 3.Kessel, H. and Gugel, E. Parameters influencing the machining of hot-pressed Si3N4 components with diamond tools (German), IDR, 3 (1978) 180–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Schweiz, K A., Reinmuth, K and Lipp, A. Processing and industrial applications of refractory boron compounds (German), Radex-Rundschau, 3 (1981) 568–85.Google Scholar
- 5.Sheppard, L. M. Hot new applications for ceramics, Advanced Materials and Processes, II (1985) 39–43.Google Scholar
- 7.Hunold, K, Knoch, H. and Lipp, A. Processing and properties of silicon carbide components (German), Sprechsaal, 116 (1983) 158–62.Google Scholar
- 8.Knoch, H. and Kracker, J. Sintered silicon carbide, a material for corrosion and wear-resistant components in sliding applications, cfi/Ber. DKG, 64 (1987) 159–63.Google Scholar
- 9.Knoch, H., Kracker, J. and Schelken, A. Silicon carbide — material for erosion and corrosion resistant pump components (German), Chemie, Anlagen, Verfahren, 3 (1985) 101–4.Google Scholar
- 10.Bunk, W. and Böhmer, M. Keramische Komponenten für Fahzeug-Gasturbinen, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo, Springer, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Hunold, K. and Sindlhauser, P. Properties and applications of boron nitride components (German), Metall, 10 (1985) 908–10.Google Scholar
- 12.Steinmann, D. Silicon nitride ceramics for cutting tools, today and tomorrow (German), Sprechsaal — Fachberichte für Metallbearbeitung, 62 (1985) 635–42.Google Scholar