A Self-Consistent Thermal Simulator of MMIC Multi-Gate Gaas Active Devices
The paper describes a CAD tool for the self-consistent thermal simulation of MESFET devices for MMIC’s (MESS). The simulator was developed within the framework of ESPRIT Project No. 255 “CAD Methods for Analog GaAs Monolithic IC’s”. After introducing the physical problem, a thermal resistance model and a self-consistent physical model are discussed. The thermal resistance model, besides being an useful design tool per se, is needed to provide the self-consistent model with proper boundary conditions. Implementation details of the two-dimensional physical model are briefly reviewed, and results are presented.
KeywordsThermal Resistance GaAs Layer Heat Sink Temperature Esprit Project Kirchhoff Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- VC Alwin, DH Navon, LJ Turgeon, “Time-Dependent Carrier Flow in a Transistor Structure Under Nonisothermal Conditions”, IEEE Trans., vol. ED-24, No. 11, pp.1297–1304, November 1977.Google Scholar
- Harry F. Cooke, “FETs and Bipolars Differ When The Going Gets Hot”, Microwaves, No. 2 (1978), pp.55–61, February 1978.Google Scholar
- Harry F. Cooke, “Precise technique finds FET thermal resistance”, Microwave and EF, No. 8, August 1986, pp.85–87.Google Scholar
- JV DiLorenzo, DD Khandelwal, GaAs FET Principles and Technology, Artech House, 1982.Google Scholar
- S. P. Gaur, D. H. Navon, “Two-Dimensional Carrier Flow in a Transistor Structure Under Nonisothermal Conditions”, IEEE Trans., vol. ED-23, No.1, pp.50–57, January 1976.Google Scholar
- G. Ghione, C. Naldi, F. Filicori, M. Cipelletti, G Locatelli, “MESS - A Two- Dimensional Physical Device Simulator and its Application to the Development of C-band Power GaAs MESFET’s”, Alta Frequenza, Vol. LVII, N.7, Spetember 1988.Google Scholar
- G Ghione, P Golzio, C Naldi, “Thermal Analysis of Power GaAs MESFET’s”, Proceedings of NASECODE V, pp.195–200, Boole Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- Ho C. Huang, F. N. Sechi, L. S. Napoli, “Measuring thermal Resistance in GaAs Power FETs”, Microwave Systems News, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp.105–108, October 1978.Google Scholar
- S Iannazzo, N Fanelli, C Naldi, G Ghione, E Pettenpaul, I Wolff, Consolidated Interim Report, Esprit project No.255 “CAD methods for Analog GaAs Monolithic IC’s”, Period number 6, Luglio 1988.Google Scholar
- J.H. Seely, R.C. Chu, Heat Transfer in microelectronic equipment, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- S. Selberherr, Analysis and Simulation of Semiconductor Devices, Springer Verlag, Wien 1984.Google Scholar
- I. Wolff, N. Knoppik, “Rectangular and circular microstrip disk capacitors and resonators”, IEEE Trans. MTT-22, No.10, pp.857–864, October 1974.Google Scholar