Studies on Poplar Clones after Exposure in Open-Top Chambers to Flue Gas from an Atmospheric Fluidised Bed-Boiler (AFBB)
The first results and an overview of a research project to determine the phytotoxicity of complex mixtures of air pollutants on the basis of biochemical, chemical and morphological investigations are given. Rooted stem cuttings of two poplar clones with differing tolerances to air pollutants (Populus nigra ‘Loenen’ and Populus maximowiczii ‘Rochester’) were fumigated in open-top chambers at six-week periods with flue-gas, emitted by a hard-coal-fired atmospheric fluidised bed boiler (AFBB). The computer-controlled fumigation system used permitted the study of flue-gas phytotoxicity in comparison with its main constituents SO2, NO2, and NO.
Depending on the pollutant mixtures, the poplars exhibited more or fewer premature leaf drop, morphological changes of the leaf surfaces, increased sulphur contents of the leaves, as well as changes in the contents o f carbohydrates, starch and chlorophylls.
A preliminary conclusion is that the phytotoxicity of the fluegases from an AFBB is, under the experimental conditions chosen, decisively determined by their main constituents SO2, NO2, and NO. Admittedly, some individual symptoms are gradually intensified by the fluegases in proportion to the main constituents, but a different course of damage has not so far become evident.
KeywordsMain Constituent Hybrid Poplar Poplar Clone Leaf Drop Poplar Leave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballach, H.-J., J. Mooi and J. Bücker (1988) ‘Injury of Populus nigra ‘Loenen’ caused by flue-gas from an atmospheric fluidised bed boiler (AFBB)’, Acta Biol. Benrodis 1, 69 – 79.Google Scholar
- Krause, C.R. and K.F. Jensen (1979) ‘Surface changes on hybrid poplar leaves exposed to ozone and sulfur dioxide’, SEM-79, III, SEM Inc., AMF 0’ Hare, IL 60666, USA, 77–80.Google Scholar
- Krause, C.R. (1980) ‘Scanning electron microscopic detection of injury to hybrid poplar leaves induced by air pollution’, SEM-80, III, SEM Inc., AMF O’Hare, IL 60666, USA, 591–594.Google Scholar
- Landesanstalt für Immissionsschutz des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen (LIS), (1983–1989) ‘Berichte über die Luftqualität in Nordrhein-Westfalen’.Google Scholar
- Meijer, E. and J. Mooi (1987) ‘Technische beschrijving / handleiding OTC-begassings installatie’, IPO-Report R 353, 75 pp.Google Scholar
- Mooi, J. (1983) ‘ Responses of some poplar species to mixtures of SO2, NO2 and O3’, Aquilo Ser. Bot. 19, 189–196.Google Scholar
- Mooi, J. (1984) ‘Wirkungen von S02, N02, 03 und ihrer Mischungen auf Pappeln und einige andere Pflanzenarten’, Der Forst- und Holzwirt 39, 438–444.Google Scholar