Impulsive Penetration of Solar Wind Plasma Irregularities into the Magnetosphere : Relevant Laboratory Experiments
Before detailed high resolution and multi-point observations of the magnetopause region will become available in the 90’s, it is interesting to reexamine existing Controlled Laboratory Plasma Experiments which are relevant to the study of solar wind — magnetosphere interaction. Two series of such laboratory experiments have been reviewed in this article. Their application to the solar wind — magnetosphere system has been presented and discussed. But other additional laboratory experiments exist; they should also be reconsidered and possibly extended.
KeywordsSolar Wind Magnetic Field Line Magnetic Field Intensity Uniform Magnetic Field Solar Wind Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Demidenko, I.I., Lomino, N.S., Padalka, V.G., Safranov, B.G., and Sinei’niko, K.D., J. Nucl. Energy, C, Plasma physics, 8, 433, 1966.Google Scholar
- Demidenko, I.L., Lomino, N;S., Padalka, V.G., Rutkevick, B.N. & Sinei’nikov, K.D., Soviet Phys. Techn. Phys., 11, 1354, 1967.Google Scholar
- Dolique, J.M., Compt. Rendus, 256, 4170, 1963.Google Scholar
- Glassmeier, K.-H., Hoenisch, M., and United, J., J. Geophys. Res., 1988.Google Scholar
- Goertz, C.K., Nielsen, E., Korth, A., Glassmeier, K.H., Haldoupis, C., Hoeg, P., and Hayward, D., J. Geophys. Res., 87, 2147–2158, 1985.Google Scholar
- Heikkila W.J., Jorgensen; T.S. and Lanzerotti, L., A transient auroral event on the dayside, preprint, 1988.Google Scholar
- Lanzerotti, L.J., Advances in Space Research, in press 1989.Google Scholar
- Lemaire, J., Interpretation of the Northward Bz (NBZ) Birkeland current system and polar cap convection patterns in terms of the impulsive penetration model, in Magnetotail Physics, Ed. A.T.Y. Lui, Johns Hopkins University Press, pp 83–90, 1987.Google Scholar
- Russell, C.T. and Elphic R.C., Space Sci. Rev., 22, 681, 1978.Google Scholar
- Sandholt, P.E., Egeland, A., Lybekk, B; and Deehr, C.S., Signature of flux transfer events in the dayside aurora? preprint, University of Oslo, 1985.Google Scholar
- Titheridge, J.E., J. Geophys. Research, 81, 3221, 1976.Google Scholar