Yttria Stabilised Zirconia Heteroepitaxy on Silicon by Ion Beam Sputtering
Among the different substrates for silicon on insulator structures, yttria stabilised zirconia (YSZ) offers several advantages as high chemical stability, good resistance to cosmic ray and the possibility of silicon oxydation through the zirconia at the Si/YSZ interface (1). However the silicon on zirconia (SOZ) technology is presently restrained by the size of available zirconia monocrystal (namely 2 inch in diameter) which is inconsistent with usual silicon processes. To overcome this problem, a solution consists in the use of zirconia heteroepitaxial thin film deposited on silicon wafers, as substrate, instead of bulk zirconia.In this way, we have deposited YSZ thin film on Si by ion beam sputter deposition (IBSD) at the Institut d’Electronique Fondamentale.This technique is used in this laboratory since few years, for the deposition of dielectric (2) metallic (3,4) or epitaxial semiconducting films (5). Especially we have demonstrated the feasability of silicon homoepitaxial thin films with good electrical properties (6). The IBSD technique consists in the sputtering of a target by an energetic ion beam issued from an ion source, in this configuration the plasma is isolated from the deposition chamber where ultra high vacuum condition could be achieved. Comparatively to conventionnal R.F. sputtering, this allow purer layers and in situ characterization. This paper present our first results in the study of YSZ heteroepitaxy on Si.
KeywordsOxygen Partial Pressure Auger Electron Spectrometry Yttria Stabilise Zirconia Reflection High Energy Electron Diffraction Deposition Chamber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.F. Meyer, C. Pellet, C. Schwebel,Le Vide Les couches minces, 42, 236 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.F. Meyer, E. Velu, C. Pellet, C. Schwebel, C. Dupas, Revue de Physique Appliquée (Mai 88).Google Scholar
- 5.C. Schwebel, G. Gautherin, 34th A.V.S. Symposium, Nov. 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Schwebel, F. Meyer, G. Gautherin, C. Pel let,J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B4(5), Sept.-Oct. 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.M.S. Abrahams, J.L. Hutchinson, G.R. Booker,Phys. Stat. Sol. (a) M, K3, (1981).Google Scholar