Structural Study of CoSi2/Si (001) and (111)
Nucleation and growth of CoSi2 films by thermal reaction of vapour deposited Co on (001) and (111) Si have been studied by transmission electron microscopy (TEM). On (001) Si, CoSi2 occurs in a number of orientations including the aligned (001) orientation. On (111) Si single crystalline layers are obtained, which are twin-oriented. In addition Si/CoSi2/Si structures have been formed by high-dose implantation of Co into (001) and (111) Si and subsequent annealing. In this way single crystalline ‘mesotaxial’ CoSi2 layers are obtained which are fully aligned with the Si-matrix. Epitaxial growth of CoSi2 on Si by conventional techniques (evaporation) and by high energy Co implantation is discussed.
KeywordsHigh Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Burger Vector Epitaxial Growth Misfit Dislocation Step Height
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Murarka SP: Silicides for VLSI applications. Academic, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 2.Nicolet MA and Lau SS: VLSI electronics 6, edited by Einspruch N G. Academic, New York, 1983, p 330.Google Scholar
- 9.Bulle-Lieuwma CWT, van Ommen AH and Hornstra J: Proceedings Microscopy of Semiconducting Materials Conf., Oxford, Institute of Physics Conf. Series 87, 1987, p 541.Google Scholar
- 10.Bulle-Lieuwma CWT, van Ommen A H and Hornstra J: Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings 102, 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.Van Ommen AH, Ottenheim JJM, Theunissen AML and Mouwen AG, Submitted to Appl. Phys. Lett.Google Scholar
- 12.Bourret A: Proceedings Microscopy of Semiconducting Materials Conf., Oxford, Institute of Physics Conf. Series 87, 1987, p 39.Google Scholar
- 13.Matthews JW: Epitaxial Growth B, edited by Matthew JW, Academic Press, New York, 1985.Google Scholar